- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
WLS-TV (ABC 7) News/I-Team Internship (Remote) – Spring 2022
WLS-TV Chicago is the Midwest flagship of the ABC television network. ABC7 leads the market in local news coverage with daily newscasts, and has been in a number one position in local news since March 1986. The station's offices and studios are located in The Loop in downtown Chicago.
The Consumer Investigative Unit of the I-Team responds to viewers who need help or feel as though they have been ripped off or wronged. The I-Team looks for patterns of complaints attached to certain companies to warn other viewers. We also alert viewers to data and privacy concerns and find stories that have broad warnings, which can help improve people's everyday lives.
The Consumer division of the I-Team also proactively digs for other stories through research and the use of the Freedom of Information Act to uncover wrongdoing and problems which affect consumer's pocketbooks.
A day in the life…
• Assist investigative reporter and producer with stories by researching and following up on hotline calls and emails
• Attend shoots and interviews with reporter and or producer
• Sit in on editing of segments
• Log interviews with use of Dalet
• Set up interviews
• Submit FOIAs
• Help find digital original stories
What you bring to the role…
• Knowledge of how to log interviews, screen calls, and emails
• Some editorial experience on rooting out a story
• Strong communication skills to talk to callers who are seeking help from the I-Team
• Judgement of what may or may not be an investigation
• Studying journalism or broadcast television in college
• Junior, Senior, Grad Student or Recent Graduate within six (6) months of graduation at the time of application
• Pursuing a degree, or recently completed a degree, in Communications, Journalism or Broadcast Studies
• All students must possess unrestricted work authorization
• All students must be at least 18 years old
• You must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months - OR - be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program in order to qualify for this internship.
• All candidates must be available from January 2022 through May/June 2022
• All candidates must be willing to work 18 – 20 hours/week
• All students must provide a consistent, reliable work schedule during the session
About ABC Owned TV Stations:
This position is with WLS Television, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ABC Owned TV Stations.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rvo71j-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.