FiveThirtyEight is an award-winning site focused on providing data-driven journalism in sports, politics, and science. FiveThirtyEight was founded by Nate Silver.
FiveThirtyEight is seeking an intern to join our audio team during the spring of 2022. We're looking for a current student or recent graduate who has thoughts about how to use audio to tell memorable political stories and offer meaningful political analysis. The intern will be embedded with a small audio team and report to our politics podcast producer. That said, FiveThirtyEight is a small newsroom, and the intern will work closely with politics reporters.
As an intern, you'll learn:
• How to get a podcast out the door two times a week, every week
• How to create prep packs for a host so they can interview well
• How to be a better interviewer yourself
• How to research political issues in a nonpartisan way
A day in the life…
The intern's main role will be to work collaboratively to help craft segments for our politics podcast, which airs twice a week.
• Brainstorm segment ideas for our politics podcast
• Help prep segments that we are doing, including research, question docs, and more
• Documentary or original reporting work for standalone episodes, which would include archival research, cutting tape and scripting
• Collaborate with teams across the newsroom
What you bring to the role…
• Journalism experience (whether from a journalism class, school paper, job, or internship) is a must
• Some experience reporting on politics (But ''politics'' doesn't just mean electoral politics. It could mean you have experience reporting on policy issues, social movements, how polarization was affecting your community, or something else. Interpret it broadly, because we will too!)
• Experience working in an audio editing program
• How to listen for good quotes in an interview, and edit the interview accordingly. There will be opportunities to learn how to be a better interviewer, a more disciplined researcher and a sharper writer on the job.
• An interest in FiveThirtyEight's empirical approach to journalism is also required
• And if you don't check every box, that's OK. Please apply!
• Podcast experience
• Documentary experience
Submit cover letter, resume and three clips (links on your resume or cover letter). The clips need not all be audio stories. We are most interested in seeing your ability to tell compelling stories, regardless of the medium.
• At the time of application, must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney Professional Internship or Disney College Program
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program, concurrent to this internship
• Must possess unrestricted work authorization
• This is a paid internship
• This internship is a remote internship. The internship requires a working, reliable internet connection as well as a quiet, dedicated work space.
• The approximate dates of this internship are January to May 2022
• Candidate must be available to work 40 hours/week in Eastern Standard time for the duration of the internship
About ABC News:
This position is with ABC News, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ABC News.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw9vqp-52-23-219-12-42 in your application.