Full Time Job
Community and Communications Manager
- Full Time
- Senior (5-10 years) Experience
NBC 6 / WTVJ and Telemundo 51 / WSCV has an immediate opening for a Manager, Community and Communications. The position reports to the VP Creative Services and Community Relations for the NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations in South Florida, WTVJ / WSCV.
The Manager will help lead the development, execution and management of WTVJ and WSCV's community, communications and tent pole community initiatives in a collaborative manner, with clear understanding of the diverse South Florida community. These would be forged with the aim of increasing inclusiveness as well as the stations' presence in the community.
The Manager will proactively propose new events and initiatives designed to further the priorities and goals of the stations while consistently reviewing all external activities to ensure symmetry with the station's strategic priorities.
The Manager will also play an important role in strategic communications. A strong writer with public relations experience, will regularly construct communication plans to further the priorities of the stations which will include developing the press releases, media advisories and external messaging that amplifies our local brand and promotes our programming / initiatives.
The Manager will also play an important role in vetting external event invitations, developing event briefings and coordinating external appearances by WTVJ / WSCV news talent and executives.
• Develop and further cultivate and support inclusive and diverse relationships between WTVJ / WSCV with relevant stakeholders in the South Florida DMA
• Work with Vice President Creative Services and Community Relations to develop new strategic community plans which will support duopoly priorities and goals and grow brand awareness across the DMA
• Build and maintain strong relationships with grassroots and community organizations and advocacy groups
• Manage duopoly non-profit partnerships, including support through Public Service Announcements (PSAs) and other in-kind support
• Manage the FCC Public File for both WTVJ and WSCV including development of quarterly and annual reports.
• Lead duopoly tent pole community initiatives and programs and manage internal calendar of events.
• Vet external event invitations involving WTVJ and WSCV executives and news talent.
• Identify best practices and proactively propose new events and initiatives while consistently reviewing all external activities to ensure symmetry with the station's strategic priorities and goals.
• Liaison with Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), Telemundo Network, NBCU Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Comcast
• Identify revenue opportunities that can enhance community relations efforts / activities.
• Liaise with news/shows and serve as a resource for community related matters (identifying experts, testimonials, research/data, and viewer resources such as Hurricane Preparedness materials)
• Plan, support and / or execute community events / activations. This includes supporting / executing logistics for consumer events such as Calle Ocho, PRIDE, etc; station event / initiatives such as annual toy drive, Town Hall meetings (internal and external), Debates; Liga Contra el Cancer telethon.
• Craft strategic messaging and communications plans for key stations' announcements, for both internal and external distribution.
• Maintain current list of external media contacts
• Prepare and issue press releases and media advisories; proactively pitch external media to secure coverage
• Prepare briefings for outside appearances by executives and talents, and represent the duopoly at key events when needed
• Maintain an updated archive of bios and photographs of stations' talent and executives.
• Identify programming tune-in opportunities and community-related content to drive brand awareness and ratings growth
• Actively monitor external media coverage and competitive landscape
• Bachelor's Degree in Communications or a related field.
• 7+ years of professional experience with increasing levels of responsibility attained in corporate social responsibility, public affairs, public relations, journalism, or a combination
• 3+ years in management role
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Fully Bilingual English and Spanish
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and attention to detail
• Self-starter with the drive to excel in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple tasks in a collaborative manner
• Ability to work nights and weekends as needed
• Strong knowledge of the South Florida non-profit, cultural, political and media landscapes