Associate Counsel, Digital Legal Affairs
Warner Music Group
New York, NY US
Job Title: Associate, Business & Legal Affairs (Temp)
Reports To: Senior Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs
Department: Business & Legal Affairs
Location: New York, New York
We currently have a fantastic opportunity to join our innovative and highly sought-after Business & Legal Affairs team at Alternative Distribution Alliance.
A little bit about our team: The Business & Legal Affairs department provides global business and legal support to Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA), which offers distribution, sales and frontline label services to a wide variety of third party record labels and artists; Asylum Records (a relaunch of the iconic frontline record label founded in 1971 by David Geffen); and Arts Music, a new division combining classical, musical theatre (including Ghostlight Records), jazz, kids and other non-pop genres; and other digital and technology initiatives (with an emphasis on startups and innovation).
Why this could be your next big break: This is a truly unique and highly coveted position to perform business and legal affairs efforts for several lines of businesses within the ADA umbrella which sits within Warner Music Group, a home to a collection of the best-known labels in the music industry, as well as one of the world's leading music publishers. You will have the opportunity to help craft our strategy and play a key role in fast-paced artist and distribution deals, as well as acquisitions, JVs, equity investments, new technologies and strategic partnerships.
Detailed Job Description/Responsibilities:
• Draft initial legal documents for attorney review, including proposals; long-form distribution agreements; and video production and artwork agreements.
• Prepare and circulate comprehensive deal summaries.
• Interpret, advise and respond to questions regarding complicated contractual provisions.
• Prepare and track legal production schedules necessary to greenlight cleared masters.
• Track, organize and upload documentation to proprietary server systems.
• Prepare and circulate winding down summaries for outbound labels.
• Negotiate and handle label waivers for multiple labels.
• Track end dates for label agreements for renewal and termination purposes.
• College degree.
• Minimum 3 years of experience at a law firm or in an in-house business and legal affairs role, with a proficient understanding of legal contracts.
• Experience in the music industry.
• Proficiency with Excel, Word and Outlook, and general ability to navigate new technological systems.
It would be music to our ears if you also were:
• Highly detail-oriented, organized and accurate.
• Able to prioritize and manage large volumes of work independently.