Front End Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA US
Comprised of Disney's international media businesses and the Company's various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company's global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
The Walt Disney Company's Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney's Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
DTCI includes Disney's international media operations and the Company's direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service, the Company's ownership stake in Hulu, and the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN. BAMTECH Media, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company as part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment.
Disney Streaming Services (DSS) is looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer with strong applied experience to join the Content Distribution and Origin (CDO) team. You've built, broken, and rebuilt software applications. We're looking for creative thinkers who also know how to create real-world products.
Working with the latest in streaming video, web serving and caching technologies, you will have the opportunity to contribute to a platform that involves configuration, content & traffic management for Disney+ around the world. We are a fast paced and growing team, where you will have an opportunity to learn about content delivery infrastructure landscape and challenges in the area of content distribution network and origin as our streaming services launch around the world over the next few years.
• A desire to work in a fast-paced and challenging work environment. Must be proactive, demonstrate initiative and be a logical thinker.
• Assist in the development of technical and architectural requirements and work closely with CDO/CDN specialists for specifications.
• Provide mentorship to other developers and advise and implement best engineering code practices and principles.
• Participate in the full-lifecycle of software development (requirements gathering, designing, building, testing and maintenance).
• Diagnose issues, evaluate and recommend the best resolution, and execute against that plan.
• Play a DevOps role in cloud-based deployment environments.
• Strong technical, problem-solving, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrate strong partnering and coaching skills.
• Minimum of 9+ years of experience in software development.
• Extensive experience with Java development (Java 8 a must).
• Strong enterprise-level software development experience in Java, Spring/Springboot.
• Experience developing microservices in a containerized environment.
• Experience with development of scalable and distributed Java services.
• Ideally, service orchestration experience in the cloud with Docker, Kubernetes, AWS.
• Experience with AWS products and services (EC2, S3, Lambda, API Gateway, DyanmoDB, SNS/SQS, RDS, ElastiCache, CloudFront, etc.) or other cloud providers.
• Working knowledge of CI/CD and DevOps.
• Modern Git based Source Code Control Repositories experience.
• Solid programming discipline: unit testing, fault tolerance, data structures, complexity analysis, object-oriented principles, design patterns, etc.
• Modern IDE experience (e.g. Eclipse/RAD, IntelliJ, NetBeans).
• Enterprise Relational DB experience.
• Competent in design/implementation for reliability, availability, scalability and performance.
• Strong motivation in picking up new domains and writing and shipping well-tested code.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work with cross functional business partners.
• Strong collaboration, prioritization, and adaptability skills required.
• Experience working with NoSQL databases.
• Experience working with infrastructure tools.
• Experience working with UI technologies.
• Experience with network and content delivery.