Software Development Engineer
New York, NY
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global Content Management platform, and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern react-based applications operated on AWS. Our applications cover everything from content creation, curation, management and user-friendly editorial experiences to support several D2C products and websites. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
As part of our team, you will build content management system (CMS) that power the next generation of Discovery's D2C web and mobile platforms used by millions of users each day. We're changing the way we create videos, recipes, and related content to bring new direct-to-consumer experiences to market. You’ll play a critical ownership role in validating new ideas and concepts, building new features, enabling data-driven collaboration, and exploring new ways we can engage our customers through our content.
1. Become a key part of an exciting, collaborative, cross-functional team.
2. Prototype and build products for the web and other platforms that enable our content creators and other teams to create new experiences for our fans in millions of households.
3. Work with engineering leadership to figure out technical challenges and make architecture decisions.
4. Mentor other developers through pair programming, knowledge sharing, and code review.
5. Work closely with your peers across engineering, product, design, editorial, marketing and operations to create products that people love to come to work and use.
6. Work in rapid iterations, always looking to deliver the best possible version of a product.
7. Develop and ship fast, tested, resilient code that others find easy to comprehend and modify.
8. Take ownership of end-to-end product quality to help make our products more reliable, performant and delightful.
9. Work out of our food-friendly offices in beautiful Chelsea Market in the hip, fun Meatpacking district in New York City!
* Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field from an accredited college or university, or commensurate experience
* 5+ years of experience developing web applications using front-end frameworks using ReactJS and Node and have shipped single-page applications.
* Working knowledge of optimizing websites and web applications for speed
* Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
* Experience consuming REST and GraphQL APIs.
* Experience working with AWS cloud and serverless architecture.
* Experience building large-scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning.
* Experience working with multiple stakeholders like designers, product management, cross teams and mentored junior engineers.
* Ability to break big problems down into small problems and solve them a piece at a time.
* Be intellectually curious and look for opportunities to expand your technical and personal skill-set.
* Empathy for users and teammates, and care as much about how the systems you create impact your users and fellow engineers as you do about the code itself.
* Excellent verbal and written English communication skills and can help others learn what you have learned.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site