Principal Software Engineer, Digital
New York, NY
• Build, test, review, and ship software for our platforms, including our suite of APIs and microservices, editorial tools, and web frontends
• Partner with other engineering squads to collaboratively develop our APIs, content management and frontend systems
• Collaborate on the design of system architecture, data models, data flows, schemas and API contracts
• Be an advocate for your team and advise our product group, other development teams, and the newsroom. Serve as a leader and technical mentor for the group.
• Guide the selection and implementation of new architectures, technologies and methodologies in our group
• 5+ years of relevant work experience
• Experience with modern programming paradigms in
• We use Node.js and Go in our backends. Experience
with other backend technologies like Java is great.
• Our data stores include MongoDB, PostgresSQL, and
more. We use ElasticSearch for queries and Redis for
• Our frontends are HTML and CSS/SASS
• We use React primarily as a frontend framework.
Experience with other frontend frameworks like Vue,
Mithril, Angular and others is also great.
• Experience with version control, peer review, and other
modern development practices.
• Experience working in the the AWS ecosystem is highly
What does NBC News Digital look for in a candidate?
The people who are most successful and have the most fun in our organization have the following attributes:
• You have top-notch skills in your technical domain.
Whether you work on the front-end, back-end or across
the stack, you can demonstrate fluency in the core
areas of technology you work with (calibrated to the
level you're at in your career). You also are committed
to learning and growing your skill set.
• You are user and product focused. You not only make
great technology, but you understand and are
passionate about how your work as a technologist
makes products more insightful, delightful, performant
and profitable. Engineers at NBC News Digital are
expected to contribute to the strategy, planning and
execution of projects.
• You're committed to collaboration. Engineers at NBC
News Digital work closely with other engineers as well
as product managers, designers, editors, reporters and
broadcasters. As an engineer you're expected to voice
your opinion, understand other people's point of view
and work with others to make great products and
• You take ownership, are proactive and entrepreneurial.
You want to make technology work and are excited
about knocking down barriers to do that. You are OK
with ambiguity and work to reduce it by building and
prototyping. You push for solutions that solve
immediate problems while building towards long-term
• You're a system thinker. You love to understand not
only how your code works but also how it fits into the
larger ecosystem of services.