Full Time Job
Software Development Engineer
- Full Time
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring software development engineers to join our global video delivery platform team – a foundational pillar of the direct to consumer group. Video is core to Discovery’s business and this team strives to provide the best possible video stream to every customer on every device and network.
In this position you will provide video metadata management tools to content producers, enabling them to create the best video experiences.
1. The ideal candidate has developed customer experiences, a strong technical ability, great communication skills, a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, a high level of creativity, great analytical reasoning skills, and of course, passion for technology.
2. You have acquired subject-matter expertise over one or more production software systems and demonstrated a pattern of shipping high quality feature changes in that or those system(s).
3. You solve business problems with simple and straightforward solutions, applying appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices.
4. You deliver high-quality results the first time and improve code, documentation, and results with each iteration.
5. Your team trusts your work.
* Degree in Computer Science or related field
* 2+ years Technical experience as software developer, or related role
* Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
* Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
* Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
* Experience with SQL
* Experience building user interfaces and CSS
* Ability to work on a diverse team
* Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Experience with TypeScript
* Experience with Angular
* Experience in development on cloud-based infrastructure
* Excellent problem-solving skills
* Nice to have knowledge of Laravel
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.