Manager - Site Reliability Engineer, Core
Los Gatos, CA US
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with 183 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages.
We often think of the Netflix service as hundreds of millions of different products each serving uniquely personalized experiences to all of our members. Machine learning drives product innovation in personalization. Building highly scalable and differentiated ML infrastructure is key to accelerating this innovation.
We are looking for a seasoned engineering leader for the Model Serving Infrastructure team in the Personalization Infrastructure org. This team innovates on the optimization, orchestration, and productization of ML pipelines, and defines the APIs and templates used for serving hundreds of models for personalizing content discovery for our members. The optimization layer enables tuning and selection of the best possible model in both offline and online contexts, including the automated management of member-facing A/B tests. The serving layer enables performant and efficient machine inference on CPUs and GPUs for a variety of ML frameworks like TensorFlow, PyTorch, and XGBoost among others.
Recruiting: Building and growing a team of outstanding engineers will be your primary responsibility. You will strive to make the team as excellent as it can be, hiring and retaining the best, and providing meaningful timely feedback to those who need.
Vision: Understanding the media business and how technology is changing the landscape will allow you to lead your team by providing inspiring context and setting the north stars!
Judgment: Netflix teams tend to be leaner compared to other large companies, so you will rely on your judgment to prioritize projects, working closely with your partners - the personalization research leaders.
Technical acumen: We expect leaders at Netflix to be well-versed with their technical domain, so they can provide guidance for the team when necessary. Proficiency in understanding the needs of research teams and how to bring to bear efficient ML infrastructure to meet those needs will be crucial.
Partnership & Culture: Establishing positive partnerships with both business and technical leaders across Netflix will be critical. We want you to regularly demonstrate the Netflix culture values like selflessness, curiosity, context over control, and freedom & responsibility in all your engagements with colleagues.
Minimum Job Qualifications
• Built or led a team that built large-scale ML Infrastructure and distributed systems
• Outstanding people skills with high emotional intelligence
• Excellent at communicating context, giving and receiving feedback, fostering new ideas, and empowering others without micromanagement
• Willing to take action, without being stubborn - ability to recognize your own mistakes
• Your team and partners see your humility all the time and diverse high-caliber talent wants to work with you
• 8+ years of software development experience with 3+ years of experience leading an engineering team
• BS/MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field
• Broad knowledge of machine learning and experience working with ML researchers
• Exposure to personalization and recommender systems
• Exposure to modern experimentation and A/B Testing methodologies for consumer-facing applications
• Experience building high-scale services on a public cloud like AWS and exposure to functional languages like Scala and Clojure
Here are some relevant papers, talks and blog posts about our domain and team:
• Open-sourcing Polynote
• ML Infra from Netflix Recommendations
• Netflix ML Orchestration
• The Netflix Recommender System: Algorithms, Business value and Innovations
• Netflix ML Platform Research website
Netflix offers a creative culture that values freedom and responsibility. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or other protected class. You can read more about our stance on diversity here. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site