Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA US
As a Sr Cloud Backend Engineer - Content Platform on the Applied Machine Learning Group, you'll play a key role in the design and development of server-side applications, pipelines and APIs for AI/ML products that support brands across ViacomCBS Digital. Location is open for remote work.
Getting a vast body of metadata ready for use in AI products is never easy. The AMLG group at CBS Interactive is looking for a Cloud Backend Engineer - Content Platform to join our team to design and develop sophisticated products that collect, transform and enrich data in a fast, scalable and reliable way both for ourselves and our customers.
Join a team passionate about best practices to ensure code hygiene, leveraging open source libraries, continuous integration and delivery, and strong belief in solid automated testing at multiple levels. You will work with team members in a variety of locations, so excellent team collaboration is critical. We rely on daily standups to facilitate communication, get help when needed, and leverage current tools (Slack, Confluence, video conference) to communicate decisions and stay connected with team members.
• Work with the product manager and lead engineers to design and develop a variety of features, reusable components and products for data availability for recommendations, search, and video services.
• Implementation of features in distributed back-end systems
• Take initiative in the architectural design, implementation, and delivery of product features
• Analyze and optimize back-end code, and pursue simplicity, efficiency, reliability and performance
• Use independent judgment to take existing code, understand its function and change/enhance as needed
• Triage and fix reported bugs as well as issues related to performance
• Communicate estimates, schedules, issues and dependencies to technical or project lead
• Bring new ideas about technology to engineering team and product manager
• Become a subject matter expert on core backend system
• Build relationships with other Central Engineering and Product Engineering teams to help improve development process and eliminate inefficiencies
What you bring to the team:
You have -
• Solid foundation and programming experience in Python, Django and SQL
• Working knowledge of developing and interfacing with thoughtfully designed HTTP APIs (REST or gRPC)
• Development experience in one of the major Cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure)
• Solid knowledge in both NoSQL and Relational Data Stores in Google Cloud Platform like CloudSQL and BigQuery
• Excellent problem solving, collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written
• A demonstrated capability for creative thinking, and intellectual exploration
• Experience writing, debugging, and performance tuning on distributed cloud systems
• Self-starter who is comfortable taking the lead on a task, collaborating with other engineers to design and implement features
• Familiar with agile software development process
• BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
• Minimum of 2+ years of relevant development experience
You might also have -
• Strong understanding of technologies in Google Cloud Platform (GCP certification)
• Hands-on experience with Go
• Familiarity with Kubernetes and cloud deployments
• Experience with Elastic Search
• Experience developing solutions within container orchestration systems
• Desire to contribute to the open-source community (i.e., blogs, source code, etc)
• Strong interest in data applications and the ML/AI space
What we offer you:
• A culture of learning - we're always looking for ways to improve our development and management of our models that power our AI products. You will always be encouraged to learn outside of your focus.
• A group of talented and friendly peers. We're a small team so you can have a big impact.
• A stable, collaborative and supportive work environment tuned to working with team members remote from your location.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site