Design Manager, Consumer Products
Los Angeles, CA US
About this Role
The Netflix Design team is searching for a proven senior leader of Product Design to lead a multidisciplinary (motion graphics, video, 3D, illustration, design, audio) studio team of designers based in Los Angeles.
About the Team
We are a team of product designers with a broad set of UX skills ranging from interaction design to user research, to visual design and prototyping. We work in close collaboration with product, business, and engineering partners to build new experiences for people around the globe. We pride ourselves on a strong culture of creativity, accountability, and experimentation.
Although Netflix is an established company, in many ways we still act like a startup. The organization is flat, process is minimal, individual responsibility is big, and there is an emphasis on keeping non-productive influences out of the everyday decision process. We endeavor to stay nimble and make decisions quickly.
You have recruited and built effective product design teams, but also have experience with and can inspire creative expressions that go beyond interaction and visual design, such as motion, video, 3D, and data visualization. You set a high bar for execution, communication, and the responsibility of your team members. You know how to work cross-functionally with multiple teams, as well as external partners. You make your ideas and data clear to get everyone on the same page.
You measure success in terms of both human and business impact. As a leader, you foster excellence through collaboration and encourage an inclusive and open environment which makes space for diverse viewpoints and working styles. You are an excellent advocate, evangelist, and listener.
You seek and offer candid and constructive feedback, and lean into conflict with curiosity, humility, and a willingness to understand. You are biased to action, proactive and results-oriented. You strive to simplify complex problems and understand that the question is more important than the solution.
What you will do:
• Lead and manage a multi-disciplinary team that collaborates closely with product teams on user interface focused product innovation, pushing what's possible creatively while meeting user and business needs
• Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to develop effective design and engagement strategy, prioritizing resources and workstreams against business needs
• Advocate fiercely for the user, and help product teams create holistic UX experiences that inspires the company and partners to push on the status quo
• Inspire, coach, and guide a team of talented designers to continually hone their craft, and deliver experiences that are culturally and globally relevant
• Bring strong creative thought leadership to imagine, develop, and drive programs and/or initiatives that elevate the user experience
• Create and execute a scalable user experience strategy, rooted in proven best practices
• Provide clarity and focus for the team, while identifying and unblocking barriers to success
• Coach and mentor each team member and be responsible for a healthy team culture
• Leading and scaling a highly collaborative design team, with key measurable results and business impact
• Creating and maintaining alignment across a broad, fast-moving organization with multiple stakeholders and competing priorities
• Successfully navigating and inspiring cultural change across an organization
• Mentoring and growing senior designers and contributing to the design community
• Fostering a high degree of accountability and trust within your team and those you partner with
• Driven and shipped successful cross-organizational initiatives
• Experience working on global products and / or emerging markets
• Excellent communication skills
• A willingness to fail and learn
• A passion for entertainment, filmmaking, and storytelling
• Experience managing global and diverse teams
• A global or multi-regional perspective
• Experience contributing to and/or creating design systems
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site