Paid Digital Media Book Marketing Director
Simon & Schuster
New York, NY US
The BuzzFeed Fellowship is a year-long program for the next generation of writers, editors, and content creators eager to master the tools and techniques of social storytelling on BuzzFeed.com. Over the course of the program, you will learn how to create the type of content that readers love to share. You must have a deep understanding and passion for the digital and pop cultural landscape with intimate knowledge of the latest and greatest in social media, content, and emerging technology/platforms.
Fellows will remotely work with and learn from members of the BuzzFeed team. This is the perfect opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a career in writing. We look for people who are fascinated by the web, human psychology, and pop culture. This is a paid position ($18/hour) and is open to anyone currently residing in the U.S. This Fellowship will conform to a standard EST or PST (9am to 6pm) working day as most of our teams work in New York or Los Angeles.
The deadline to apply for this fellowship is 8/12/20. All application materials will need to be submitted when you apply. The intended (and tentative) start date for this Fellowship is Monday, September 14.
We're looking for hungry culture maniacs obsessed with the things people are sharing, liking, recommending and talking about. You should also have:
• High emotional intelligence
• A positive, curious, playful disposition (no haters)
• A genuine, wide-eyed love of pop culture and internet trends in all their forms
• An interest in social platforms and what drives people to share content on the web
• Curiosity and excitement about social platforms (Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter, TikTok, etc.)
In addition, you should demonstrate the following:
• 1-3 years of experience with writing content for the web (includes internship, freelance, writing for your personal blog, etc.)
• Ability to conceive of ideas, jump on social trends, and produce posts for the website
• Ability to handle critical feedback and improve from it
• Eagerness to work in a highly collaborative environment
• Experience with design or illustration tools is a plus
• Willingness to conform to standard EST and PST working hours
Please submit the following when applying to be an Editorial Fellow:
• Instead of a formal cover letter, please include a few short paragraphs about what topics you'd want to write about on BuzzFeed, and what about the site interests you.
• Create a BuzzFeed.com/community profile, and create 2-3 posts that reflect your voice and interests. NOTE: Only 1 of the 2-3 posts can be a quiz. When you submit your posts, include ''This is for the Editorial Fellowship.'' in the description. You'll be asked to provide the links to your posts when you complete the application. SO, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR COMMUNITY POSTS PRIOR TO COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION! We encourage you to check buzzfeed.com/trending to see examples of posts that are connecting with people, and to take note of the variety of topics and formats.
• Provide links to your public social media accounts.
• Attach a resume - Keep it to 1 page!