Business Intelligence Engineer - EA Digital Platform
Seattle, WA US
Hulu’s global Video Engineering team is seeking an experienced architect to lead technical efforts in our players, protocols & standards, and playback systems. Are you ready to influence the way our world experiences television? As the video playback architect at Hulu, you will guide multiple teams in their development of player libraries across dozens of platforms and shape the use of major streaming standards such as MPEG-DASH and HLS in Hulu and the larger industry. As the largest virtual TV provider, Hulu has incredible scale and investment in this area, presenting an exciting challenge and influential opportunity for the right individual!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
• Lead design of our modular player architecture across Hulu, for use across web, mobile, and living room consoles, set-top boxes & smart TVs.
• Influence development of QoS measurement, Adaptive-Bitrate (ABR) & CDN switching algorithms, dynamic ad-insertion, and other innovations that improve quality for viewer.
• Work with standards groups to promote solutions for Hulu's needs and coordinate internal efforts across Disney tech communities
• Work with the architect and dev communities to coordinate and promote best-practice methodologies, guidelines, procedures and repeatable and scalable frameworks.
• Provide guidance and mentor the technical and business teams by providing solutions, recommendations and documentation of use cases for continuous improvement.
• Follow incidents with the team, deriving insights for resiliency and self-healing capabilities into future iterations
WHAT TO BRING
• BA/BS degree in technical discipline; or equivalent experience
• At least 8 years experience in software development
• Experience with media player stacks in one or more environments
• Experience with networking and media protocols, including TCP/IP, HTTP/2, QUIC, DASH, HLS, and ABR playback logic
• A mind for optimization. At this scale, small improvements can drastically effect quality for thousands of viewers, or make significant cost impacts.
• Strong interpersonal, administrative, presentation and analytical skills
• Clear communication, collaborative teamwork skills, and ability to build consensus with multiple stakeholders
• A broad, enterprise-wide view of the business and varying degrees of appreciation for strategy, processes & capabilities, and governance
• Experience managing external vendor relationships
• Skill collaborating with multiple distributed teams to build alignment and find common paths forward
• Advanced knowledge of content delivery across the public internet
• Experience with video technologies, including ingest, transcoding, packaging, DRM, metadata, and SCTE, EIDR, or other industry standards
• Experience designing and building distributed systems for serious scale and reliability, preferably in hybrid cloud / private datacenter scenarios
• Experience working with finance and data teams to identify insights to guide our strategy, execution, and operations.
• Passionate about public speaking; this role could present phenomenal opportunities to get our message out to the community!