Software Development Engineer II
Bellevue, WA US
We are hiring a Director of Product Management in Bellevue, Washington to drive innovative and data driven Recommendation & Personalization solutions for customers across Discovery’s wide array of direct-to-consumer products, including digital products across entertainment, food, home, auto, nature, and science. The diversity of content within the Discovery portfolio provides a unique challenge to help develop user interest graphs & drive engagement across loosely coupled lifestyle interests. The Director of Product Management will be an experienced product manager with extensive background enabling teams & building solutions with actionable data and insightful analytics. He/she will drive customer focused user engagement solutions for digital products and be a leader in advancing the use of scientific methods to solve business and technology problems.
This senior leader will partner closely with product teams, engineering to design user experience, data capture, work with data engineering to build and maintain scalable recommendation & personalization systems and collaborate with data scientists and business analysts to drive user engagement. This senior leader will have strong attention to detail, in-depth analytical knowledge and understand & follow agile methods; adapt to dynamic & changing environment and communicate with simplicity & in timely manner. You will work cross-functionally with Data Scientists, Product Managers, Engineers and Business stakeholders to identify new opportunities, influence and align priorities and execute against roadmap to meet and exceed goals.
An ideal candidate will be a creative thinker, result-driven and passionate for using data and scientific methods to drive innovation and produce great experiences for our customers. This person will advocate for data-driven decision making, have an insatiable curiosity, love to invent and innovate to solve difficult problems, and obsess about their customers. The candidate will have a strong point of view but remain open-minded should evidence lead elsewhere. This senior product manager takes end-to-end ownership of their work and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment and envisions new models that help technology and business teams become more efficient.
1. Collaborate with product, marketing, analytics and technology teams to develop experiences that drive user engagement & retention across a wide spectrum of content within the Discovery portfolio.
2. Play a leading role in defining engagement experiences for digital products, balancing with the technical performance of the product; establish standards for enhancing data capture solution and partner with engineering to implement and enhance analytics capabilities for direct-to-consumer products.
3. Communicate effectively and in timely manner across different levels ranging from engineers to executives, and enable decision-making through use of data, analytics and scientific methods.
4. Be the expert on existing/emerging Data Science technologies and techniques to enhance product roadmap and drive customer engagement. Have excellent understanding of data science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms.
5. Assist data scientists by creating conceptual data and analytical models for new business problems, enable real time execution & automation and gather feedback to improve analytical and data science models.
6. Take ownership for driving new algorithm development; create a plan for continuous optimization and quantify improvement in the performance of algorithms and machine learning models.
7. Thoroughly understand of Data Scientists’ and Analysts’ needs and partner with data engineering to efficiently handle large volume of data in real time as well as batch data and identify opportunities to decrease execution times.
8. Proactively identify risks and issues and drive effective resolution by engaging different teams across the organization, actively manage dependencies and mitigate resource constraints.
9. Collaborate with product managers, designers, engineers, and data scientists on user stories, prioritization, and sprint planning, demos, and retrospectives to develop model-based solutions for product initiatives and launches.
10. Support the hiring and development of other data scientists, analysts, and other technical professionals, helping them enhance their skills, while supporting a fun and engaging culture.
* Minimum of 10+ years of proven experience in product management in technology environment.
* Strong understanding of digital products, e-commerce economics and strong business acumen.
* Drive incremental improvements in ambiguous situations and in a fast paced and matrixed organization.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills. Can effectively communicate vision and plan with audience.
* Understanding of statistical concepts, programming languages, such as Python or R, hypothesis testing.
* Experience in structuring, cleansing, and preparing large, complex datasets using SQL or other data querying techniques.
* Experience with Amazon Web Services (Redshift, S3, EC2, EMR, etc.) is preferred.
* Experience in working across product, engineering, and analytics teams to evaluate new ideas, discuss technical concepts, create scalable designs, implement new models, and make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks.
* Proven track record of driving use of data and scientific methods to solve business problems and accelerate product features and capabilities.
* Master’s degree in business, quantitative or technical field (engineering, statistics, computer sciences, etc.) is a required.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Want to Learn More?
Learn more about our company culture and life at Discovery, Inc. at https://corporate.discovery.com/
Bellevue, Washington, WA, BLV