Software Development Engineer II
Bellevue, WA US
We are hiring a Software Engineering II, iOS role for the Digital and Direct-to-Consumer product for Magnolia, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and Chip and Jo Gaines. This is a critical role in helping us develop and launch the Magnolia product on iOS platforms (phone, tablet, and tvOS). With Magnolia, we’re looking to solve practical problems for customers, improve their everyday lives, and create passionate and loyal fans.
Within your role, you’ll be an integral part of a team of engineers, product managers, and designers to build the Magnolia platform on iOS. You’ll also collaborate with other engineering team members to develop shared frameworks that can be used across other D2C products, and will participate in the full product development lifecycle from concept to launch.
This will be a hands-on role where you’ll be successful by developing an engaging customer experience on iOS platforms, develop with an eye towards quality and re-use, drive architectural direction, coach new team members, and collaborate with your teams on the end-to-end customer experience. As a Software Engineer II, on this team, you’ll drive key capabilities for Magnolia in our Swift codebase, lead code reviews, and own tasks and projects to their completion. You’ll also collaborate with other digital engineering teams to develop shared frameworks and define cross-team architecture best practices.
1. Deliver high-quality, high-performance, scalable code for the iOS and tvOS app
2. Ensure high quality code is delivered. This includes monitoring app crashes, memory usage, and product quality; and leads issue resolution.
3. Automate the quality assurance phase of the development cycle through automation testing.
4. Assist in execution of the engineering hiring plan for the team, including screening, and interviewing.
5. Coach and mentor other software engineers
6. Day-to-day support of project initiatives including: participation in sprint planning, team retrospectives, code reviews, and user interviews.
7. Help set team goals and technical direction while ensuring that they align with the goals of the larger organization.
8. Master and evangelize our agile product development process, incorporating consumer insights into product decision-making process.
9. Assesses mobile landscape for emerging mobile trends with vendors such as Apple, Google, and Amazon.
10. Help implement effective engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality and forward progress.
11. Communicate status, roadblocks and requirements to team management in order to proactively solve problems and drive solutions.
12. Represent Discovery engineering and management in industry events.
* Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field from an accredited college or university, or commensurate experience
* Experience: 6+ years in an engineering contributor role.
* You have experience shipping iOS and tvOS applications and you are up to date on the current state of the iOS development ecosystem (examples: Swift, Carthage, Cocoapods, Bitrise, etc).
* Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Heroku) is a plus.
* Knowledge of large scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Bellevue, BLV, Washington, WA, Seattle