Software Development Manager III
Bellevue, WA US
We are looking for technically deep, analytical software engineering leaders to join our growing Bellevue team. If your interest lies in building highly scalable container-based services, then this may be the team for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks. (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring engineering managers to join our team in Seattle. The ideal candidate is an established fromt line leader, responsible for managing an area or department. You are responsible for defining the mission of your team, inspiring and motivating your team to pursue that mission, and setting strategic goals for them to achieve in that pursuit. You have a balanced understanding of business and technical objectives and your guidance is sought out because your decisions drive the best outcomes for both. You own a set of key performance indicators important to the business, and drive outcomes for our business by setting goals against these metrics.
1. You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
2. Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
3. You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing people, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high quality examples of your own work.
4. You have demonstrated that you can manage multiple teams, or an area of strategic importance and significant impact. You are able to work effectively through other managers reporting to you.
5. You influence teams and groups outside your wider organization with your deep insight and strategic thinking.
6. You have participated in strategic planning and demostrated good judgment in setting and delivering against strategic goals for your team. You are able to drive outcomes using key performance indicator goals within your team rather than dictating specific deliverables.
7. You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of engineers and managers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers and managers. You have mentored and managed other engineering managers successfully. Your team is capable and autonomous without your continuous oversight and decision making as a result of your coaching of your own managers.
8. You create a culture of innovation, encouraging your team members to find new and better ways to achieve their goals. You foster an appropriate culture of tolerance for taking innovative risk.
• 5+ years of experience developing with React/Redux and implementing Server-Side Rendering
• Working knowledge of optimizing websites and web applications for speed
Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, ReactJS, Typescript, and NodeJS
• Knowledge in cloud technologies/infrastructure (esp. AWS)
• Proficiency with optimizing for performance and scalability, making trade offs between components that are server-side vs client side rendered.
• Ability to participate in all aspects of the development cycle; from design, to development, testing, and release.
• Prior experience with user authentication, authorization, and account management components a plus.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site