Senior Software Engineer
Los Gatos, CA US
The Performance Engineering team is key to running the Netflix service by bringing higher efficiency to the Netflix streaming and studio environments. You are a key part of this success story, making sure the service performs extraordinarily well on all the devices we support (over 1000). Whether the optimization lies in the device, network access path, or something else you discover, you can help identify the bottlenecks via creative tooling and analysis. With over 50% of our subscribers outside the U.S., we are looking for collaborative individuals who can bring their device level performance experience to bear on the problems we have yet to both discover and pursue. Help us to make future customer's experience as thrilling as the current one.
When you join the group you'll get to work on:
• Finding ways to deliver the Netflix application more efficiently to our clients and enhance member's experience
• Improving the efficiency of applications used by our production studio for the creation of all our original content
• Sharing our tools and techniques externally through various open source communities
• You will be working with the client engineering teams who create our customer experience on different devices to understand and eliminate bottlenecks
• You will analyze performance characteristics of the parts of our system from the AWS cloud to the device software which affect the member experience.
• You will understand the experience of our customers and how best to improve it as we add millions more people around the globe.
• You will work with our external technology partners on optimization strategies for our workloads.
• You will collaborate with numerous engineering teams such as the Android engineering teams.
What makes you a good fit:
You are curious about how and why things work the way they do. You bring that curiosity to everything you do and use it to navigate all the options for solving problems to find the best answer. You like to understand problems and puzzles where you might not initially have all the data but you can find it using tools and techniques you develop.
You have experience with performance analysis and tuning of web-based or mobile applications at web scale. You can develop analysis tools or visualization of real world application and network performance.
You like to use your ability to collaborate to run cross-organizational projects. We are a very collaborative group and you look forward to working with your peers on different challenges.
To really succeed at this job you'll:
- Have a good knowledge of device (Android) performance analysis
- Have done some development on Android devices
- Having a working knowledge of advanced analysis tools such as perf and eBPF is a plus
- Having experience with Cloud Computing platforms (particularly AWS) is also a plus.
- Be excited about working with different organizations to help them understand their problems with performance, efficiency and customer experience.
Netflix's culture is a huge part of what makes us successful. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
In this job, you will be working with the engineering teams who create our customer experience on different devices to understand and eliminate bottlenecks. This will help improve the member experience bringing joy to our customers. You get to analyze performance characteristics of the parts of our system from the AWS cloud to the device software which affect the member experience.
We will work together on understanding the experience of our customers and how best to improve it as we add millions more people around the globe. One day you could be playing the role of a customer. The next you could be digging into a device to understand its inner workings relative to the customer experience.
You will have an opportunity to work with our external technology partners on optimization strategies for our workloads. You'll do this in collaboration with numerous engineering teams such as the Android engineering teams.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site