Principal Product Manager
Bellevue, WA US
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring software development engineers to join our team. The Global Identity team provides all the services to store customer credentials, customer preferences, manage their accounts, register, and sign up on all platforms.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
• You are experienced and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers. You make good decisions when to build new and when to extend existing.
• You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
• You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
• You mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
• Deep experience with Roku-specific technologies (BrightScript and SceneGraph)
• Experience or an interest in cross platform development in Android, iOS is ideal but not required.
• Working knowledge of optimizing mobile applications for speed
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Knowledge in cloud technologies/infrastructure (esp. AWS)
• Proficiency with optimizing for performance and scalability, making trade offs between components that are server-side vs client side rendered.
• Ability to participate in all aspects of the development cycle; from design, to development, testing, and release.
• Prior experience with user authentication, authorization, and account management components a plus.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site