Assistant & Associate Producers, Editors
Help us shape the future of NPR. We’re looking for a talented and collaborative leader to join our Programming senior team. This position’s primary responsibilities will include supervising production of multiple flagship NPR podcasts and developing new programming that will be relevant to a young and diverse audience, pushing NPR into new places. You will work as part of a highly creative and collaborative team across all platforms – podcasting, radio, events, video and written content.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
We are looking for a transformative leader who will lead in an inclusive way that will encourage people to share ideas, be innovative and take risks in order to develop the best content and programming for our current and future audience members.
You will have an opportunity to make real impact across a range of initiatives, while working closely with senior leadership at NPR and a highly motivated and experienced group of programming executives across the country.
NPR is an industry leader in podcast production with over 150M global monthly downloads. The NPR Programming division has dramatically expanded NPR's on demand audience and journalism footprint with the launch of more than 15 podcasts and radio shows in collaboration with NPR News. Currently, NPR produces eight of the top 20 podcasts in America.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Programming and Audience Development at NPR and is ideally based in Washington DC.
• This position is a member of the programming division senior team. Together with other senior team leaders, create and manage a comprehensive, audience focused, content and talent development strategy that guides the growth and direction of NPR programs for the next several years, reflecting shifts in American demographics, diversity, and media consumption habits.
• Together with programming leadership, explore emerging business opportunities that will grow NPR’s audience and diversify revenue streams.
• Work closely with a cross-divisional team on NPR’s diverse audience growth strategy
• Supervise leadership staff for key programs in the NPR podcast portfolio, helping the shows evolve and continue to grow new audiences
• Participate in NPR’s Story Lab development process, developing new shows; researching and developing show ideas from both internal and external sources.
• Foster an internal “culture of creativity,” tapping into talent both inside and beyond public media
• Maintain relationships with current and potential contributors to NPR
• Guide show production pilot development through post-production; includes script, creative, casting, staffing, and production supervision
Operational & Divisional:
• Support NPR’s standards of excellence, including production quality as well as fairness, objectivity, and balance
• Work across departments to develop and sustain revenue opportunities for new and existing products
• Work across NPR’s multiple divisions to foster strong communication and support for programming’s content
• Engage in the podcasting and public media communities, positioning NPR as the premier creative, business, and strategic content partner
• Develop and manage budgets
• Negotiate and execute contracts with outside partners and internal talent as needed
EDUCATION Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least 8 + years of experience in program development and production (podcasting or otherwise), with an emphasis on rich storytelling. Proven experience developing successful new content and adapting content across multiple platforms and different user experiences.
• At least 5 years of experience managing people.
• Minimum of 3-5 years of journalism-related work, with the ability to collect, organize and disseminate information.
• Ability to work with a range of teams and talent, supporting their vision and driving success.
• Ability to have effective communication and planning detailed logistics.
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively.
• Proven ability to consistently work as part of a team, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• NPR is headquartered in DC and has satellite offices in NY and Culver City, CA. We prefer a candidate who can eventually work from one of those locations.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Familiarity with NPR Podcasts & Programming
• Proven ability to develop successful new programs
• Quality Decision Making
• Strategic Thinking
• Able to deal with Ambiguity
• Learning Agility
• Managing Complexity
• Managing Stakeholder relationships
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site