Senior Software Engineer, Partner Developer Experience
Los Gatos, CA US
Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. The Data Science and Engineering (DSE) organization supports Netflix's data-driven culture across content, marketing, streaming, product, and finance functions.
Who we are:
The Core DSE team is focused on strengthening the entire DSE organization across all business aligned verticals where data processing and engineering exists by providing broadly scoped technical leadership, engineering resourcing, program management and collaborative partnership for driving shared organizational objectives and initiatives as well as identifying and developing best practices, business critical solutions and tooling in support of all data related engineering activities. Our team is a dynamic one, and we are continually evaluating projects and developing solutions that affect hundreds of engineers and hundreds of petabytes of data. Successful candidates will be comfortable both owning some of these projects and advising on others.
Who you are:
You are an engineering professional who puts users first, highly communicative, thrives in diverse and cross-functional teams and possesses a curiosity beyond your own domain of expertise. You will also have opportunities to work on broadly scope solutions to make significant improvements to the quality, coverage and accessibility of our entire data ecosystem in a variety of different ways. Additional qualities about you are:
• You construct code that is understandable, simple, clean and elegant.
• You love freedom and dislike being micromanaged. Given context, you're capable of self-direction.
• You're passionate about code quality, data quality and delivering effective data to impact the business.
• Motivated to explore new technologies and learn, and can do so without taking formal education.
What we're looking for:
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated versatile data engineer who is charismatic, determined, curious, and industrious-not just hardworking-that appreciates freedom and responsibility, has a passion for entertainment and thrives in a fast paced highly technical environment. As a member of this team, you would be at the center of data innovation and solutioning that spans a broad spectrum of the business.
You're a good fit for this role if your strengths include:
• The courage and professional maturity to have principled, evidence-based discussion of multiple approaches to a single challenge.
• A product mindset, in which engineering costs are measured against the benefits to our partners.
• Balancing the benefits of building new solutions versus adding challenging and complex features to existing solutions.
• Fully own data assets that are shared across the company. Collaborate with partners to understand needs, model tables using data warehouse standard methodologies, and develop data pipelines to ensure the timely delivery of high quality data.
• Creatively explore how to use data and data tooling to continually contribute to Netflix. Translate data and data accessibility questions into flexible methodologies that scale to answer broad problems across the organization and advocate on behalf of all data engineers.
• Be a bridge between engineering and the business, enabling insight that can empower better decision-making.
• Develop and contribute to the development of automation and tooling for a variety of business needs to improve quality, enhance accessibility, and enable efficiency of data processing throughout Netflix.
• Manage the entire lifecycle of projects independently, including but not limited to, gathering requirements, communicating design decisions to cross-functional teams-which includes data science, product management, engineering, analytics, and operations-and proactively seek and incorporate user feedback.
• BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related technical discipline or equivalent practical experience
• BS and 8+ years of relevant work experience, MS and 7+ years of relevant work experience, or PhD and 4+ years of relevant work experience
• Experience in the big data technologies (Spark, Flink, Map/Reduce, HDFS, Pig, Hive, Presto, Airflow, Luigi, Kafka, Avro, Parquet, etc.)
• Practical experience with Python and SQL-Java/Scala a plus-and comfortable working in a variety of tech stacks.
• Strong communication and collaboration skills
• Ability to write, analyze, and debug SQL; NoSQL knowledge a plus
• Experience with big data design, ETL (Extraction, Transformation & Load) technology, architecting efficient software designs for distributed systems and big data environments
• Experience building data infrastructure in the cloud, data frameworks and automation tooling is a plus
• Ideal candidates will have a deep understanding of technical and functional designs for databases, reporting, and data mining areas as well as experience developing machine learning and data driven decisioning systems is a huge plus
Two more things to know:
• Netflix offers the opportunity to work with amazing colleagues, constantly evolving technology, fascinating analytical and technical challenges and a culture that is unique and incredibly important so it's worth learning more about it at https://jobs.netflix.com/culture.
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value inclusion and diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site