New York, NY
The VP – Development is a unique position is responsible for researching and vetting new program ideas and genres for the Factual portfolio. The VP will also be an idea generator, responsible for proactively coming up with innovative show ideas and creating new programs for in-house development. In this role, the VP will be expected to share ideas and contribute to the strategic vision and direction of the network and will possess a strong creative background as well as excellent writing skills.
• Create and conceptualize ideas for new series, specials, and other programming initiatives.
• Conduct deep research and develop internally generated programming concepts. Work with entire development team to identify ideas, brainstorm, and develop shows.
• Responsible for identifying the latest trends and formats by conducting heavy internet and telephone research.
• Responsible for actively reaching out to agents and producers to solicit new ideas.
• Review treatments and materials submitted from external vendors and work with development team to provide timely feedback as assigned.
• Oversee the production of presentation tapes and all deliverables for paid development, including reviewing and editing treatments and story outlines.
• Ensure information flow and editorial integrity during all phases of development from conception to production.
• Adherence to and accountability for all aspects of the Network’s budgetary and production standards, as well as contractual and deliverables requirements for programming.
• Coordinate bi-weekly meetings to progress projects.
• Serve as a network liaison to represent development.
• At least 8 - 10 years’ experience in the broadcast industry with experience. Both independent and network experience on successful projects.
• Ability to consistently generate and execute new ideas. Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects in varying stages.
• Superb creative writing skills. Strong aptitude in Research.
• Strong leadership and motivational skills, with demonstrated ability to work with little supervision and under pressure to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints.
• Strong knowledge of producing community with established agent relationships.
• Must have the legal rights to work in the United States.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site