Animation Production Payroll Manager
Los Angeles, CA
Manager, Virtual Production (NLAB)
As Netflix looks forward into the future of production, virtual production will exist as a core tenant, enabling our unique roster of creatives with breakthrough real-time technologies & dynamic new collaborative workflows. We are seeking a bold, experienced leader to join our team as Manager, Virtual Production - NLAB.
A successful candidate needs to have a comprehensive understanding of the virtual production landscape and its trajectory, and be strategic and an external voice in the growing ecosystem. This is a business development role with a focus on R&D and industry engagement. Experience working hands-on in the space of Virtual Production and established in the technical community (including lidar/photogrammetry, visualization, AR/VR, real-time engines, performance capture, on-set camera tracking/compositing, interactive lighting) is a requirement.
We are seeking someone who is an impactful, proactive thinker, and challenges prevailing assumptions to help us create new and improved workflows. More than anything, we love tinkerers - someone passionate about this space and not afraid to get their hands dirty with new technology. This is a demanding and fast moving position that requires an effective communicator who is able to exercise good judgement and demonstrates initiative. Applicants should be willing to embark in blue sky science, gazing into the future of filmmaking, while determining practical applications that can apply back to Netflix's core production offerings.
NLAB is a studio initiative between Creative Technology & Infrastructure, Engineering, and Physical Production to bring internal focus to solving the technical and cultural challenges of virtual production, defining strategies to foster a global ecosystem and increased adoption across our content slate. NLAB supports Research & Development, Industry Partnerships, Education, and Infrastructure engagements with Virtual Production.
• Perform new domain market development, including vendor outreach, meet & greet, and regular engagements with Post Partnerships & Integrations. Will be responsible for developing comprehensive reports to present to the Global Resource Strategy team.
• Assist Director of Virtual Production and cross-functional partners to assess technical competency of vendors and perform regional feasibility analysis.
• Identify opportunities for business development, growth opportunities, highlighting weak-points, and presenting industry trends.
• Aid in mapping complex interconnected workflows of virtual production technology including Hardware, Software, and Vendor providers. Manage tracking and business onboarding of vendors in Netflix managed vendor programs.
• Manage, track, and deliver NLAB R&D projects with industry partners such as VFX companies, hardware manufacturers, and real-time engine providers.
• Supervise and be the single point of contact for all aspects of the NLAB stage initiatives including working with facilities, studio planning, financial operations, VFX studios, and hardware/software vendors to ensure success for both production and R&D needs.
• Keep a pulse on the maturation of domain technology and the players in the space including scanning, visualization, performance capture, camera tracking, on-set compositing, and LED technology.
• Advocate the adoption of new practices, frameworks and technology as it applies to Virtual Production within the studio.
• Contribute to the company's culture of curiosity and self-disciplined pro-active responsibility as part of the Virtual Production and VFX team along with strong partnership toward Physical Production and Animation.
• Experience in a leadership capacity engaging directly with Virtual Production technologies and service vendors in VFX, Virtual Production, Gaming and/or Studio.
• Expertise managing productions in real-time engine technologies.
• Established relationships with virtual production service providers.
• Articulate, honest, and impassioned orator comfortable when presenting in front of crowds and key clientele. Outspoken public voice and advocate for Virtual Production methodologies. Conference or public speaking experience required.
• Passionate about the Virtual Production landscape and the future of content creation.
• Ability to handle a fast paced environment, supervising several projects in various points of production (from development through delivery).
• Strong organizational skills with a proactive mentality and creative problem-solving abilities.
• A strong technical understanding of VFX workflow and Virtual Production pipelines.
• Detail oriented, especially with regards to scheduling and planning.
• Project Management skills are a must with tools such as Excel/Sheets, Tableau, Shotgun, Perforce, Jira, Airtable.
• Self-motivated proactive team member with the capacity to work independently.
• Passionate about our culture and values in the workplace.