Senior Fullstack Engineer - Media Cloud Engineering
Los Gatos, CA US
Netflix makes up 1/3 of internet traffic, and we're proud to deliver entertainment that over 180 million global customers enjoy. Behind the scenes, Netflix is powered by several key pieces of technology, including Open Connect (our CDN), Video Encoding Technologies and Adaptive Streaming.
Decisions on how to improve and evolve video streaming performance for our customers are driven by data. We're looking for someone to transform petabytes of incoming data on video performance, encoding efficiency and network efficiency into well-designed, high-quality data structures that empower critical decision-making for teams within Netflix.
Once a member presses play, we track the entire interactive experience, including the quality of the video, and the network performance as each byte of data is transferred, so you'll work with data at incredible scale and collaborate with best-in-class data engineers and analytic experts.
You'll become an authority in the world of video streaming delivery (no prior knowledge necessary, but curiosity to learn is a must), and the projects you'll work on will be truly impactful to Netflix members worldwide.
In the meantime, learn more about the Streaming Data Engineering team.
What you'll do
• You'll take ownership and increase automation and scale of complex data sets that drive use cases by our analytical partners. This includes the netflix 'playback' data, application performance data, network throughput and device debug information.
• You'll build robust data pipelines that output very high data quality at scale using any combination of Spark, Flink, Python and Scala.
• As someone who is working at the heart of understanding what is being watched on Netflix, you will partner closely with Content teams (who is watching what?), Network Teams (what kind of network performance are they getting?) and our Client Teams (how is my app performing on their device?)
• We need to process data more quickly than ever to enable rapid experimentation in an increasingly nimble engineering organization. You'll help implement our business logic to be compatible with real-time/stream processing frameworks.
Who you are
• Have several of the characteristics/skills listed below and have passion and self-drive to quickly learn in areas of less familiarity. We believe the experience in your years is more important than your years of experience.
• Enjoy a high level of autonomy in managing cross-functional engineering projects. We enjoy a culture of Freedom & Responsibility.
• Have experience building production data pipelines and/or strong knowledge of SQL (Knowledge of Spark, Flink or Hive/Hadoop is helpful). Have hands-on experience with schema design and data modeling.
• Have programming proficiency in Python, or Scala/Java. You have a software engineering mindset and strive to write elegant, maintainable code. You may even be a software engineer with a focus or passion for data-driven solutions.
• Have strong SQL skills and knowledge
• Have excellent communication in sharing context to effectively collaborate with analytical partners, domain experts and other consumers of your work, preferably in supporting an engineering or product function. We like to collaborate across teams and so should you.
• Ambitious and willing to take action, but not stubborn. Awareness to recognize when you're wrong and move past your own mistakes. We are humbly confident in ourselves and our work.
Our culture is unique, and we live by our values. You will need to be comfortable working in the most agile of environments. Requirements will be vague, and iterations will be rapid. You will need to be nimble and take smart risks. Learn more about Netflix's culture.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site