Lead Systems Engineer
Washington, DC US
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR and its network of over 270 member stations across the nation are migrating to a new content management system. This complex, multi-year effort will require an experienced Software Engineer to build out additional platform capabilities in both the front- and back-end, as well as to integrate with additional backend services as required. This individual will join a cross-functional Scrum team consisting of 4 other software engineers, a product manager, technical program manager, designer, and Scrum Master who are working on this project. The new content management system is based on the Java-based Brightspot CMS offering; individuals applying for this role should be comfortable with working within vendor platforms.
You can find out more about a day in the life of a Software Engineer at NPR online at this link.
Day to Day Responsibilities
• Participate in daily stand-ups and other scrum activities (e.g. grooming, planning, demos and retrospectives) as required.
• Contribute high-quality, documented code in accordance with department standards, best practices and processes based on self- and team-assigned stories.
• Create software technical designs and incorporate feedback from others.
• Provide consistent and substantive feedback of software designs and code written by peers.
• Participate in code deployments to QA, UAT and production systems.
• Join the developer “on-call” rotation after approximately 3 months.
• Interview prospective employment candidates.
• Identify and respond appropriately to production problems.
• Work closely with others on the team to guide projects to completion.
• Assist in the training and onboarding of staff new to the team and/or project
Required Technology Skills:
• Fluent in Java.
• Fluent in relational databases, such as MySQL.
• Experience in front-end web application development.
• Experience working with a version control system (Git preferred).
• Experience adding and maintaining features within a large code base (ideally written in Java).
• Familiarity with integrating with external API's / Services.
• Experience developing features on an Agile / Scrum team.
Other Required Skills:
• Creativity, initiative, thirst for innovation and acute attention to detail.
• Vigor for crafting well-tested, well-documented and elegantly structured code.
• Passion for standards-based web development and polyglot programming.
• Honesty, friendly attitude and good sense of humor.
Bonus Points For:
• Java 8 constructs including Lambdas and Streams.
• Experience in cloud technologies such as AWS or GCP.
• Familiarity with webpack, gulp.js, or SystemJS.
• Every additional programming language and framework you are fluent in (Python, TypeScript, PHP, etc.).
• Exposure to document databases, such as DynamoDB and Elasticsearch.
• Experience with Docker or Kubernetes.
• Experience working with Content Management Systems.
Special Note about this Position
• There are two openings for this team, and mid-level and senior level candidates will be considered for both openings. It may appear twice on the website; candidates need not apply to both to be considered for both.
• This is a grant-funded position through September 2022. While we cannot guarantee this today, there is a high likelihood of extension or conversion to a permanent role prior to the end of the grant period. Please ask the recruiter or hiring manager any additional questions about this.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site