Principal Product Manager
Bellevue, WA US
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
This leader will be responsible for driving Operational Excellence for all DTC products for Discovery across the globe.
1. Build and lead the Discovery Global Operational Excellence organization
2. Understanding operational aspects of all DTC products and driving relevant product requirements
3. Establishing and managing a global operational metrics review process
4. Work with businesses to identify right KPIs and building tools for automating their collection, processing and reporting
5. Establishing and managing a root cause analysis (RCA) process for DTC products
6. Working with technology partners such as AWS, Google Cloud, CDNs, Video processing tools providers to establish and manage SLAs
7. Establish and manage a process for forecasting computing and network needs for the platform and businesses across the globe
8. Establishing and managing process for creation and execution of SOPs with frontline support organization
9. Establish process for managing large-scale events (LSEs), reduce MTTD/MTTR for customer facing issues
* Some travel required (15%)
* You measure success in terms of performance & scale of your engineering solutions and not your team size and budget.
* You strive in a culture of innovation - willing to say yes and try out new ideas and living outside your comfort zone.
* You are comfortable handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
* Deep understanding of how culture and team dynamics create exceptional teams.
* BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field.
* 10+ years of professional experience designing, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
* 4+ years of experience managing successful engineering teams including hiring and performance management.
* Expertise in problem solving and analyzing global scale distributed systems.
* Must have authorization to work in the United States.
bellevue, washington, wa, blv