London, United Kingdom
Who You Are!
There are lots of people here doing all sorts of jobs and we believe that having all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds, makes this a great place to work! We work hard but in a fun environment and seek to nurture the best possible, inclusive environment. If you're passionate about working with diverse teams, leading by example and simply being you at work, this is the place for you!
WHAT IS THE ROLE
Channel 5's Content Legal department currently has a vacancy for an additional Content Lawyer or Senior Broadcast Content Advisor with considerable experience in legal/regulatory programme compliance issues to work on Channel 5's commissioned content. The role includes:
• Programme and Online content legal and regulatory advice including the Ofcom Broadcasting Code pre- and post-broadcast and online.
• Advice on child protection and contributor duty of care, commercial references in programmes and teleshopping, sponsorship, product placement, broadcast competitions, election broadcasting and other matters that arise from time to time.
• Giving advice on editorial ethics affecting programmes and online content.
• Managing reviews into programme and online content issues pre-and post-broadcast.
• Handling and drafting responses to complaints and regulatory investigations including Ofcom standards or fairness and privacy complaints.
• Reviewing policies, guidelines and protocols for the management of programmes.
• Attending and advising at recordings, and live and 'as- live' programmes
• Training internal staff and production companies on legal and compliance issues affecting programme and online content
• Pre- and post-litigation management including instructing counsel and external solicitors.
• Liaising and working closely with commissioners, production companies, press, programme management, business affairs, creatives, marketing and management.
WHAT SKILLS DO YOU NEED
• Ideally you will be a Content Lawyer or senior broadcast Content Advisor with considerable experience of legal/regulatory compliance issues as they relate to broadcast programmes.
• In-depth understanding of media law and regulation including defamation, contempt, privacy, copyright, data protection and the Ofcom Broadcasting Code and Guidance
• Experience of advising pre- and post-broadcast on media law and regulation in relation to programmes and/or online and/or other media content
• Experience of media litigation – defendant and/or claimant work
• Experience of drafting/reviewing programme protocols, guidance notes, contributor contracts/releases and access agreements
• Skilled communicator at all levels regarding legal and compliance issues
• Creative problem solving skills with strong and good judgement in evaluating legal and editorial issues
• A passion for freedom of expression
• To be a committed teammate with an ability to work efficiently under pressure and to tight deadlines
• An ability to learn quickly and to apply new findings to a real practical scenario.
• A good listener, willing to seek all details and ask the right questions, before approaching matters in a practical and analytical way.
• Attention to detail and confidence in handling strict deadlines and providing an excellent service to key partners around the business.
• An approachable, professional persona and ability to collaborate easily in a friendly and lively environment!
Whether you are a leader or hope to one day be, you will be a change maker by challenging the status quo, Lead with passion and purpose Drive collaboration and Lead with openness to individual differences and diverse perspectives.
What are our values - Bravery | Empathy | Honesty
Our values, and their related behaviours, guide how we show up to work each day and help ensure that we all treat each other with respect. The three values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
What are our benefits
As well as being supported with your career goals Permanent and Fixed Term Contract employees will be entitled to:
• Private Medical Insurance after completing 3 months of employment
• Season Ticket Loan
• Cycle to work scheme
• TV Package Discount
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Discounted Gym Membership
• Discounts for Local Shops and Restaurants and Access to Reward Gateway
• We are happy to talk about flexible working
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At ViacomCBS, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. ViacomCBS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer and we take our responsibility in safeguarding children and adults seriously. We work hard to ensure that everyone with whom we engage receive equal protection from all types of harm or abuse, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity; an obligation we take very seriously. To ensure, we are an exemplar in the field of safeguarding individuals, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria of the role applied for and for those who are successful in receiving an offer for roles that interact with children, completed background checks will be required prior to joining.
Function Legal/Standards & Practices
ViacomCBS is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. Driven by iconic consumer brands, its portfolio includes CBS, Showtime Networks, Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, CBS All Access, Pluto TV and Simon & Schuster, among others.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site