San Francisco, CA US
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume & portfolio. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
The Lucasfilm Advanced Development Group (ADG) is looking for a Senior Rendering/Graphics Engineer with a special focus on mobile rendering technology to join our team in San Francisco!
ADG develops tools and techniques for high-fidelity computer graphics and simulation. Our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling in the Star Wars universe through real-time rendering of film-quality imagery. Our work can be seen powering ILMxLAB immersive experiences, as well as in film and other media.
As a part of ADG, you will develop new techniques for real-time rendering on current and future mobile devices, deliver tools and technology that empower storytellers, and work closely with our sister company Industrial Light & Magic to leverage existing knowledge and solutions. You will set new bars for what can be achieved with real-time rendering on mobile XR platforms.
• Partner with ILMxLAB production teams, department stakeholders, and developers, designers, and artists to provide feedback and create clear and estimable technical designs.
• Provide creative, tested, and high-quality technical implementations that meet design and art requirements.
• Provide deep domain expertise in the area of rendering on mobile platforms.
• Maintain awareness of how technical implementation affects performance and memory footprint on mobile platforms.
• Seek to increase design and art departmental efficiency through tooling or workflow enhancements.
• Contribute to core studio mobile technologies in an architecturally sound way to ensure cohesive development efforts across multiple projects.
• Plan and manage tasks and schedules effectively.
• Team with other engineers to form a highly productive team.
• Passion for the craft of mobile development, particularly mobile VR
• Excellent 3D math skills (linear algebra, vector math)
• Strong graphics background with the ability to demonstrate knowledge in the following rendering areas: lighting, shadows, mesh processing, low-level graphics APIs, animation/deformation, particles and FX simulation, shaders
• Understanding of 3D scene construction, the graphics pipeline, and graphics debugging on mobile platforms
• Experience writing rendering code within modern game engines
• Strong knowledge of C/C++ programming, best practices, architectural considerations
• Communicate well with non-technical partners from other disciplines, such as artists, designers, and producers
• Strong debugging skills, including graphics debugging and mobile platform debugging tools
• Understanding parallel programming, resource management, and GPU considerations specific to mobile platforms
• Deep experience of one or more of industry standard graphics APIs for mobile rendering (Vulkan, OpenGL, Metal)
• Deep experience of shader languages (HLSL/GLSL/Cg/OSL)
• Self-motivated person with excellent problem solving skills
• 5+ years of prior experience of coding in the role of Graphics Engineer for mobile development
• Experience with art-related tools such as Photoshop, 3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush
• Experience with Unreal Engine 4 and UE4 mobile development
• Experience in mobile VR rendering, particularly on the Oculus Quest platform
• Experience in embedded systems, especially console development
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Scientific discipline
• Advanced degree preferred