Hard Surface Modeler
London, United Kingdom
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Supervisor of the motion capture, data collection, and camera tracking systems on set. Responsible for set up of capture systems in a volume as well as establishing workflows with Camera and Virtual Production departments to ensure quality data capture and stream during production.
• Prepare stage and capture systems for real-time capture in a live action shooting environment in collaboration with the Virtual Production Supervisor
• Oversee motion capture system setup, calibration, and operation during shooting
• Ensure quality real-time camera tracking data and the integrity of all captured data
• Regular work with Stagecraft team to verify position and alignment of tracked camera in a volume
• Direct layout of motion capture cameras and makes adjustments in response to changing conditions on set
• Responsible for maintenance of markers (passive and active) and tracking objects for use on cameras, props, occasionally actors, and for set registration
• Work with the camera department to ensure tracking objects and other sensors (such as FIZ logger) are always attached and calibrated, to ensure quality realtime tracking data
• Coordinate camera offset and lens calibration during lens changes
• Ensure recording of motion capture and camera data for each take, keep slate names in sync with production
• Ensure synchronization of timecode between camera, audio and motion capture systems
• Responsible for uptime of the realtime data-stream
Education / Experience
• On-set motion capture experience required.
• Experience with setup and operation of Vicon Motion Capture systems and software.
Required Skills / Competencies
• Must be able to execute technically difficult work and maintain a productive attitude under the pressure of live action production.
• Must be highly computer literate with Linux and Windows Operating Systems.
• Must be an excellent troubleshooter to diagnose and solve issues in complex integrated systems of computers, video recording systems, software, and other sensor driven systems.
• Familiar with a variety of concepts, practices, and procedures used in visual effects and live-action film production
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
• Must be detail oriented, highly organized and be able to handle a variety of tasks in an efficient manner.
• Fabrication skills for production and maintenance of tracking objects preferred.
• Familiarity with video hardware and signals preferred.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.