Software Development Engineer
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring software development engineers to join our team! The ideal candidate has a track record of having built high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are collaborative and make other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions.
1. Scope & Complexity You are able to take documented designs prepared by more experienced engineers and contribute code to implement the design working solo or with other engineers together.
2. Decision Making You are responsible for your team’s software making decisions about how to implement to best achieve the desired outcome. The decisions you make prove that you are can right stable, product quality code and follow your team’s best practices for dev-ops tasks.
3. Execution You have demonstrated the ability to use common industry tools for software development including but not limited to IDEs, build and continuous integration, source control management, code review tools, data storage services, and cloud infrastructure, and you are able to build software in a professional team environment delivered to production using these tools.
4. Operations You are able to provide technical documentation describing your contributions and contribute enhancements to your team’s best practices.
5. Influence You influence the technical vision for your department through discussions with peers and your management. You are persuasive in influencing your peers through code reviews or design reviews.
6. Communication You are an effective communicator as exemplified by your technical documentation, and your interactions with stakeholders and adjacent teams.
*Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.