This posting is no longer active and was removed on 10/24/2020
Chapeau Studios is seeking a Virtual Production Technical Director who will form part of the core Stagecraft software operating team. Will be the primary user responsible for operating the software stack, ensuring scenes are fully working and performant. Additional tasks including manipulating and aligning the scenes to match with physical set builds, and the matching of look and color, to create a seamless blend between the physical and virtual world in camera. The role reports to the Virtual Production Supervisor, but also collates and feeds back issues with assets, software & hardware back to the stage producer.
- Operation and troubleshooting of Chapeau’s Virtual Production tool set.
- Assist with asset ingest, scene setup, optimization, and validation of look and performance of scenes
- Calibrate and ensure connection of virtual camera(s) to live action camera(s)
- Make scene adjustments to achieve the goals of the key creatives on-set, including lighting, animation, set dressing, and color correction.
- Provide time-to-completion estimates for changes or troubleshooting issues
- Routing of video signals for display, monitor, and recording
- Development of "quick fix" tools to streamline workflows
- Triage and reporting of issues to engineering
- Provide deliverables from Virtual Production to post-VFX
- Works on the post-production of data derived from capture techniques, including processing and photogrammetric images and other data types
- Recording takes and tracking shot/scene names with live action unit
- VFX production / pipeline experience (preferably as a Virtual Production LTD, Layout Artist, Generalist, Lighting TD, Compositor, or Pipeline Engineer)
- On-set experience a plus
- Required Skills/Competencies
- Must be able to execute technically difficult work and maintain a productive attitude under the pressure of live action production.
- Must be detail-oriented, highly organized and be able to handle a variety of tasks in an efficient manner.
- Creative technical problem solver, able to improvise solutions in pressure situations
- Knowledge and troubleshooting of assets in a VFX pipeline
- Must be highly computer literate with Linux and Windows Operating Systems.
- Python scripting within digital content creation applications
- Programming experience with C++ and Cron
- Must be an excellent troubleshooter to diagnose and solve issues in complex integrated systems of computers, video recording systems, software, and other sensor driven systems.
- Familiar with a variety of the concepts, practices, and procedures used in visual effects and film production.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomacy skills.
- Familiarity with real-time technology and virtual production experience preferred
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4, Maya, nDisplay, Nvidia GPU Sync, Perforce, and MoSys Startracker
Location - On location in Fullerton, Venice and remote
Pay - negotiable based on experience