Full Time Job
SVP, Engineering and Technical Operations
Sinclair Broadcast Group
- Full Time
- Executive (10+ years) Experience
Sinclair Broadcast Group and its Tennis Channel network have designed, developed and built an all-new, state-of-the-art digital production studios and executive campus in Santa Monica, CA. The SVP/Engineering and Technical Operations will be a key senior officer and play a mission critical role in the companies continuing expansion, with principal responsibility for developing and implementing the new facilities' technical and operational strategies and their implementation across all broadcast and digital properties in the Greater Los Angeles. The seventy thousand square foot, Gensler designed, ultra-modern workspace will serve as headquarters to SBGTV's national sports and production operations, including Tennis Channel, our 23 owned and partner Regional Sports Networks' (which comprise 43 MLB, NBA and NHL pro teams) Los Angeles Studios, and key national programming for the companies 187 owned broadcast TV stations.
A Snapshot of Your Responsibilities -
• Interface with SBGTV corporate engineering in determining which technologies will be utilized in our core operations and being accountable for implementing those new technologies.
• TC production produces over 300 live days in the studio, in multiple control rooms, with multiple worldwide feeds. Engineering support is needed during all productions.
• Work closely with Head of Production and his/her team in designing and engineering cutting edge content production and advanced workflow solutions.
• Introduce/incorporate new technologies which allows TC and SBG Sports to produce more content in a more efficient and cost effective manner for all TV and digital platforms, worldwide.
• REMI productions and cloud-based remotes are becoming ever more commonplace at TC and SBG Sports. The SVP in this position needs to be an expert with all aspects of REMI productions, including working with facility providers hired by production.
• Work closely with local and corporate IT departments to ensure seamless integrations with all broadcast and studio environments particularly as it applies to SMPTE 2110, IPTV, studios, master control, editing, media management and general IT infrastructure.
• Negotiating, managing and administering various vendor relationships.
• Interfacing with other executives/senior staff to support Production, AD sales, Traffic and Programming needs and requirements.
• Management of Engineering, transmission, master control, media management staff and freelance personnel.
• Management of tennis tournament transmission and integration of tournament feeds with production and operations. Work closely with Head of Production on this.
• Coordination with SBG Facilities on matters of technology, facility maintenance, utilities and security.
• Oversight of staff payroll reports and timesheets
• Oversight and resolving of trouble calls from Tennis Channel/RSN affiliates.
• Preparation of quotes & proposals for client projects.
• Formulation and reporting on operating and capital expenditure budgets.
• Coordination on a wide range of ad hoc issues across all departments.
Level & Role Specific Qualifications
• Demonstrated leadership abilities
• 15+ years of experience in the Broadcast/Digital Media industry in a series of increasingly responsible engineering and technology roles. Previous experience as a senior broadcast technical and operations executive is required.
• Experience with media operations, content assembly and satellite distribution systems.
• Direct experience in business continuity, crisis planning or related experience.
• Extensive technical knowledge of Live Sports Production, Media Supply Chain, and various digital delivery platforms.
• Strong interpersonal skills combined with a thirst for creative problem solving
• Track record of managing and making quick decisions in an agile, fast-paced live sports based environment.
• Ability to translate and communicate business requirements into operational and technical requirements
Preferred Skills And Experience
• A team builder and leader, that provides clear structure and managerial oversight.
• Strong understanding of SMPTE 2110 and related standards and workflows in studio and master control environments.
• Knowledge of emerging technologies such as 4K, High Dynamic Range, and HDR10+ is a plus
• Knowledge of industry standards such as Advanced Media Workflow Association (AMWA) and Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE).
• In-depth understanding of the functionality and use of technologies related to network origination, signal encoding and multiplexing, file‐based content creation and transport.
• Proven leadership ability with large teams.
• Ability to integrate new technology into operation and changes in media delivery including appropriate content development for multiple delivery platforms.
• Strong strategic and analytical skills.
• Requires a strong leader with an ability to direct and motivate the technical and operations staff.
• A technical undergraduate degree with MBA/MS preferred.
• You care about your team and are invested in their success.
• You value diverse perspectives.
• You are excited by new technology and its potential to change how things are done.
• You have an entrepreneur's spirit and foster interdepartmental trust and camaraderie.
• You have a cloud-first mindset.
• You seek and foster zero sum growth by embracing constant change through innovation.
• You like to be a key member of a winning team.
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!