Animation - Specialist Technical Directors
Glendale, CA US
The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technology leader. Walt's passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world-a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from: animation, theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences - and we're constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences. Part of the Walt Disney Television Group, Disney Television Animation (DTVA) is a high-volume digital animation production studio. Because of DTVA's strong use of commercial and custom software technologies to create its animation products, its use of technology, engineering, development techniques and software are critical to its production operations and workflows. Disney Television Animation Technology (DTVAT) innovates and delivers solutions that support our animation studio whose content is legendary and transcends generations. As part of the Technology team you'll be joining a group of passionate, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We are looking for high-performing, motivated individuals who are generalists and proficient in many technologies and languages. Our team embraces disruptive thinkers who can drive innovation.
We're looking for an intellectually curious, business-savvy, analytical powerhouse to join the Disney Television Animation Technology team as an Associate Data Scientist. In this role, you will be responsible for designing, building and channeling data visualization solutions across the various Disney Television Animation business departments. You will be working through industry research, participate in ongoing education, and apply practical experience while working along the path of becoming a leading subject matter expert in digital workflow and user behavior via data analyst.
Supporting the Disney Television Animation business, the Associate Data Scientist should be well versed in each of the following areas:
• Work closely with DTVA Technology department management to provide requirements, offer input, and track progress on infrastructure and engineering work streams that are relevant to the business.
• Working collaboratively with cross-functional teams consisting of: Executives, Software Developers, System Engineers, System Administrators and Site Reliability Engineers to create strategies around Knowledge Discovery / Data Mining.
• Apply statistical and modeling skills to enhance the understanding of our application and workflow data.
• Conduct hands-on research, business intelligence analysis and data mining on large, complex data sets to support the business.
• Collaborate and Ideate on building predictive models and algorithms to optimize software tools and data visualization solutions.
• Create and optimize data visualization models that enable us to target specific: business, financial, operational and technology needs.
• Analyzing the performance of applications, systems, processes in order to provide data and feedback tied to optimizations and refinements.
• Examining other ways to expand the use of data science for improved decision support.
• Help improve business decision support solutions by leveraging internal and external datasets.
• Contribute in technical discussions on data standards and tooling.
• Minimum 1 year of work experience in media, advertising, or digital products driving measurable results is highly preferred.
• Excellent understanding of statistics and the ability to confidently translate statistical analyses into compelling and actionable recommendations.
• Strong experience with Excel and writing SQL to extract and manipulate data at the source
• Experience with any of the following tools is a plus:
• Spark, Hive / Hadoop
• Cloud data platforms
• R and ggplot2
• Experience with consumer behavior and insights analysis (transactional and usage).
• Self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
• Great written and verbal communication and teamwork skills.
• Proven ability in predictive analytics and modeling.
• Knowledge or background in data engineering is a plus.
• Required Education: Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent work experience