Software Development Engineer I
Bellevue, WA US
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring senior software development engineers to join our global video delivery platform team – a foundational pillar of the direct to consumer group. Video is core to Discovery’s business and this team strives to provide the best possible video stream to every customer on every device and network. The team provides mission-critical functionality to all Discovery applications that includes content search and metadata services, video transcoding and DRM services and video playback services among others.
1. The ideal candidate has an established background in developing customer-obsessed experiences, a strong technical ability, great communication skills, a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, a high level of creativity, great analytical reasoning skills, and of course, passion for technology.
* Degree in Computer Science or related field
* Technical experience as software developer, or related role
* Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
* Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
* Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
* Ability to work on a diverse team
* Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Knowledge of video streaming, codecs, video delivery and broadcast workflows is a big plus.
* Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
* Experience with high throughput, multi-threaded systems
* Experience implementing and consuming large-scale web services
* Master’s degree in computer science or equivalent
* Experience in development on cloud-based infrastructure
* Excellent problem-solving skills
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site