Bellevue, WA US
Discovery is looking for a Senior Program Manager to join our Direct To Consumer (DTC) Technology Team in Bellevue, WA. We are looking for that rare candidate with a strong technical background, exemplary written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to thrive with little process, direction, or oversight. This is a role inside a fast-paced start-up environment where we are also building process and structure befitting a major corporate entity. This position will appeal to a person who is excited by ambiguity and new product development while yearning to help shape project and portfolio management practices and help establishing the overall strategy of the DTC Technology space.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct To Consumer Group is a technology company within Discovery Inc. With Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more brands to support, we build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications for smart TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles.
To support these experiences, we are building a global streaming video platform and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. The services are modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS, covering everything from search, catalog, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions. The device platform spans consoles, smart TVs, web, mobile phones, and tablets. This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are looking for a senior program manager to manage a technical programs and the overall portfolio within our DTC PMO team in Bellevue, WA. The ideal candidate communicates clearly, organizes project timelines, secures commitments, manages risks, identifies the critical path, spots edge cases, reviews metrics & data, and monitors operations within the DTC Technology Portfolio. The ideal candidate can switch effortlessly between these modes adapting themselves to the needs of their work streams. They are a strong self-starter and therefore have the ability to drill into business data and research results to identify clear direction and focus for their tasks, projects and programs. They continue to move forward in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge. Their interest in computer science has not faded as they moved into a project management role and they are still comfortable with technical details and giving regular feedback to engineers on their projects.
• Bachelors degree with 10 years of experience (or Master's with 8 years) in project management in the technology realm.
• Technical background in software engineering or related field, ideally with professional experience as a software engineer.
• You have demonstrated the ability to lead technology programs on a broad scale working directly with product and engineering teams.
• You have a solid understanding of software development methods like CI/CD, Agile Scrum, Waterfall, etc.
• You have shipped multiple high impact projects and used data to assess their impact.
• You have experience with all phases of project delivery from concept to production, including defining features and deliverables, securing team commitments, establishing a project charter, handling all communication and reporting, overseeing development & deployment, and performing retrospective assessment using data and key performance indicators.
• You have demonstrated the ability to make decisions for more than one project or program area showing that your judgment is fungible, and you may be to handle more than one project simultaneously and successfully.
• You have demonstrated the ability to create and manage a technology portfolio and have extensive experience in demand management (intake, prioritization, etc.), resource capacity management (headcount planning, work allocation, hiring, etc.), annual operating planning, road-mapping, risk management, and program/project management standards and templates.
• You have contributed to establishing a technology organizations strategy, governed it and communicated it broadly.
• You have repeatedly demonstrated the ability to understand organizational and corporate goals and ensured that your projects delivered what was required to hit these goals.
• You have the ability to plan budgets, adjust forecasts as necessary and track financial performance of an organization.
• You have demonstrated your written and verbal communication skills can be applied to business and technical areas across all levels, from the engineering teams to senior level executives.
• You have deep knowledge surrounding the PPM (Project Portfolio Management) discipline and are familiar with standard PPM tools offered in the industry.
• You MUST have experience with JIRA, Confluence, and Microsoft Suite of products.
• You have had experience managing vendors and assets in the form of software and hardware.
• You have created processes and mechanisms, deployed tools and built partnerships across a technology organization to deliver on ambiguous and challenging goals.
• Travel is required (when it’s safe, due to the pandemic) both domestic and international averaging about 20%
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
• Proactive Problem-solving: First and foremost you are a problem-solver. You work tirelessly to keep work streams on track, to unblock software development, and to ensure that the best possible outcome is achieved for the
business. You are eager, confident, and able to use all of the tools at your disposal to solve whatever problems crop up.
• Active Learning: You are here to learn and grow. Your industry knowledge will never be complete and you are hungry to learn more and to share what you have learned with your peers and the team(s) that you influence.
• Computer Science Fundamentals: You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions
and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a program management role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
• Efficient & Effective: You are here to solve business problems and help our customers, not to prepare reports or oversee meetings. You find the most effective way to use our precious internal resources to achieve the best
outcome. You find the most effective means to communicate clearly and concisely to all interested stakeholders. You are simplifier and a productivity multiplier for others around you.
• Exemplary Communication: Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distill key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style
of communication depending on the audience. You can clearly articulate decisions that have been made and supporting materials that back them. You are confident and capable of speaking to both the business operations or
technical decisions. You communicate through da
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site