Software Development Engineer
Discovery also has a strong portfolio of free-to-air channels across Europe making it a leading broadcaster in a number of countries, including Norway, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Germany and the UK. As a purpose-driven company, we are dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring.
For 30 years we have told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten our viewers around the world, about the world. But our work doesn't stop there. We are committed to making the world a better place by leveraging our market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes. We also are dedicated to employee volunteerism across the globe.
Discovery Networks International is the World's #1 non-fiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in 210 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through 130-plus worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet and Eurosport, the leading pan regional sports entertainment destination across Europe and Asia-Pacific. Discovery is also a leading provider of educational products and services to schools and owns and operates a diversified portfolio of digital media services.
We are looking for top Engineering talent, whose deep technical expertise and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for technology and design. Our team builds the backend video workflows, video processing and managing user experiences at scale for Live and On-demand OTT Video applications on WebM, Android, iOS, FireTV, and tvOS.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, advertising technologies, to global subscriptions, and much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing, to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks including Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport and Discovery Play. This growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are looking for Senior Software Development Managers to join our team in Pune and Mumbai. The successful candidate will have a track record of creating the identity for a team and defining how teams work within a larger organisation. You have mastered the ability to delegate both small tasks and larger assignments to your team and ensure that desired outcomes are achieved, even without your constant oversight. You are a leader that people turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities and processes, and create new ones where needed.
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how and when to use them
• You dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team
• Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details
• Your written and verbal communication skills are exceptional
• You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience
• You communicate through data, dates and facts, applying them as appropriate to motivate and inspire
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work
• You are comfortable with scrum agile methodologies, adapting best engineering practices by showing people, not just telling people
• You are equally passionate about code testability as you are for writing methodical, readable code.
• Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high quality examples of your own work
• You prepare and follow team plans for coordinating requirements, schedules, and activities; contributing to team meetings; troubleshooting development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms.
• Given a larger business goal, you are able to facilitate ramping up of an existing, or building a new team, including estimating the needed skills and team size, defining processes, team structure, and means of collaboration. You have repeatedly demonstrated the ability to achieve these goals
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of Engineers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best Engineers
• You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one Engineering team or functional area showing that your judgment is fungible.
• Proficient in Java 8, including use of Futures and Streams
• You are proficient in Reactive programming, asynchronous, non-blocking backend engineering languages like Java, Go, Node JS, etc. Also familiar with Akka, Playframework, writing highly scalable engineering backend services and messaging services like Kafka, SQS and others.
• Experience with one or more of: PostgreSQL and MySQL, Caching solutions (such as Redis and Guava), Search engine technology(preferablyElasticSearch)
• Knowledge of, and professional experience withmost AWS services, and deeper knowledge of EC2, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch
• Usage and deep understanding of Docker and Kubernetes
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site