Studio Operations Manager
Operations Manager – National News
WGN America is looking for an experienced Broadcast News Operation Manager to head the broadcast operations at News Nation, a new national newscast! This is a once and a lifetime opportunity to be a part of something new. Get in on the ground floor and build the operation your way. This opportunity is for someone that regularly exceeds expectations and is obsessed with creating and improving standard operating procedures. Located in the historic WGN Studio's in the beautiful city of Chicago, you'll be responsible for managing the day to day news operations in a new newsroom filled with talented and eager news staff. Are you currently managing news operations in a top media market? Are you looking for a fresh start or searching for a challenge? If so, then this might just be that opportunity you've been waiting for. This position reports directly to the Vice President of News.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Manage the day to day news operations on News Nation, a national newscast.
• Implement safety procedures and protocol.
• Manage a team of Editors, Studio Crew, Photographers, and Control Room staff
• Work with Nexstar Engineering on budgeting and purchasing all field and production equipment.
• Create and implement standard operating procedures for News Nation operation.
• Work closely with engineering team to evaluate new technology and make recommendations for budget.
• Manage and support bureau photographer and reporters.
• Responsible for scheduling production and field crews
• Create and implement quality standards for video editors
• Work with Nexstar affiliates to improve commination standards
• Manage News Nation TOC to improve acquisitions between affiliates
• Identify and mentor top performers
• Manage vehicle fleet and field gear for photographers
• Make sure crews are adhering to all OSHA rules and regulations
• Work with finance department to manage and approve direct report timesheets
• Administer annual performance reviews with direct reports.
10-20 years working in broadcast news
5+ years in a news management role
Extensive knowledge on broadcast equipment including cameras, non-linear editing systems, ENG video playback and ingest systems, media management, and news acquisitions equipment.
Proven leadership managing broadcast news teams and studios.
A good person that treats employees well and holds people up so they can meet or exceed the Nexstar standards.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.