Senior Data Scientist, Experimentation
New York, NY US
Comprised of Disney's international media businesses and the Company's various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company's global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
The Walt Disney Company's Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney's Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
DTCI includes Disney's international media operations and the Company's direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service, the Company's ownership stake in Hulu, and the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN. BAMTECH Media, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company as part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment.
Data scientists at Disney Streaming Services (DSS) use data to empower decision-makers with information, predictions, and insights that ultimately influence the experiences of millions of users worldwide. In order to draw causal conclusions about novel product ideas and releases, we are building up AB testing capabilities across a variety of user-facing applications and services. The core experimentation data science team focuses on the analytic capabilities of the experimentation platform. The team's goal is to pave the way for broad experimentation at DSS via both ad hoc analysis and creating robust, reproducible, and scalable solutions. This position presents an opportunity to have a large impact on experimentation and its best practices at Disney Streaming Services.
• Experimentation: Lead analysis and execution of experiments in the areas of customer acquisition, streaming quality, application performance, and commerce. Share and promote experimentation best practices.
• Analysis automation: Effectively scale analysis from a single AB test to standardize metric definitions, statistical tests and results visualizations.
• Deep analysis: Analyze user behavioral data to identify patterns, uncover opportunities, and create a common understanding of how people are interacting with the service and content.
• Partnership: Partner closely with the experimentation platform team, product managers, data engineers to improve platform capabilities, drive development of new features and testing strategies.
• 5+ years of hands-on experience designing and executing AB tests.
• 3+ years of experience using SQL
• 3+ years of Python or other statistical programming language
• Deep understanding of statistical concepts like hypothesis testing, Bayesian decision-making, etc.
• Hands-on experience in advanced data analysis
• Strong communication skills, for both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Experience thinking strategically to interpret market and consumer information, preferably about a subscription service.
• Familiarity with data exploration and data visualization tools like Tableau or Looker
• Advanced degree in an analytical field or equivalent experience.