Manager - Site Reliability Engineer, Core
Los Gatos, CA US
Netflix is looking for a Senior Engineer to join our Data Solutions Engineering team. This team is part of Cloud Data Engineering (CDE)-- the organization responsible for providing reliable and scalable datastores as a service for all the applications developed at Netflix. CDE handles persistent and volatile data at tremendous scale (hundreds of TB at the caching layer alone, and multiple PB of data in the persistence layer), and must continually plan for more.
The Data Solutions Engineering team plays a critical role in the CDE org and is responsible for interfacing with CDE's customers to understand their applications' persistence needs and to help them identify and use datastore offerings effectively and meet their performance and availability requirements. If you are interested in distributed data stores, you enjoy interacting with and helping customers, and you have an engineering mindset to develop effective capacity planning and efficiency tooling, this would be a perfect opportunity for you.
Here are a few talks from members of our team that highlight some of the work we do -
What you'll be doing:
• As a Data Solutions team member, you will build a good understanding of our datastore offerings, their benefits, shortcomings and secure data practices. You will use this knowledge to help customers use the right offering and configurations for their persistence needs.
• You will educate and evangelize paved path and secure data practices to CDE's customers through educational sessions, labs, presentations etc.
• You will collaborate with other team members to build tools that can help handle various challenges in the solutions area, eg. proactive automated capacity planning, cost and efficiency improvements tools, benchmarking tools to help evaluate different datastore options, etc.
• You will collaborate with other CDE engineers to drive feature implementations that are most valuable to our customers.
• You'll have a strong impact on Netflix by spending about half your time collaborating with teams across the business on their application needs, while also spending some time building various tools.
• Deep knowledge of at least one of the following distributed data stores - Cassandra, Elasticsearch, CockroachDB, Memcached or a distributed high performance key value store.
• Software design and development skills in any of the following languages -
• Java, Python, Scala, C++
• Familiarity with cloud computing platforms like AWS and understanding of scalability and reliability concerns
• Excellent communication and people engagement skills
• Bonus if you have been strictly working with Databases and Datastores for at least 5-7 years
Why you'll succeed:
• You are a team player who is happy to collaborate with the customers and partners across Netflix
• You are curious about emerging technologies and are interested in evaluating and adapting where it makes sense
• You take inclusivity as seriously as we do, and enjoy working with brilliant people from all walks of life, understanding how to respectfully engage and collaborate with colleagues regardless of any differences of perspective or experience.
Netflix offers a unique culture that values freedom and responsibility. You can learn more via the culture memo at https://jobs.netflix.com/life-at-netflix.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site