Software Architect - Java
Austin, TX US
We Are EA
And we make games – how cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry that's why we employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry
What will you do?
Reporting to the Senior Manager Architecture, the role offers a seasoned Software Architect an opportunity to build scalable, performant and highly available applications and solutions in the cloud. You will establish architecture and design for the applications, you will define coding standards and engineering best practices for the product. Leading a team of engineers, you will deliver applications both for internal and external users. You will use the latest technology features and architecture principles to solve complex problems of modern applications. You will also work with Scrum masters and Product owners to determine and deliver on the product vision.
• Act as a top-level contributor in direction for major, complex programs intended to roll out high-volume, high transaction-based applications and services
• Be a hands-on person leading the global team from the front
• Deliver experiences in partnership with distributed diverse teams to ensure the architectural vision is communicated and delivered to the highest standards.
• Work as an architecture team lead on large diverse projects, ensuring that scalable solutions are implemented and delivered.
• Track development deliverables and communicate their status to global teams.
• Estimate engineering effort during different stages of the project life cycle.
• Provide architectural guidance to quality assurance on all new code from beginning through integration, staging and production environments.
• Exhibit creativity and resourcefulness while collaborating and working with outstanding designers, engineers of different technical backgrounds, architects and product managers.
• Mentor 2-4 lead developers in accomplishing architecture, design and implementation goals.
• Oversee end-to-end development process, thus ensuring the code written to implement the architecture and design meets the highest standards of code quality and efficiency.
• Perform research and implement best practices for problem avoidance and continuous improvement.
• Follow agile/scrum methodologies to iterate quickly on product changes, developing user stories and working through backlogs.
The next great EA Applications Architect also needs:
• Bachelor's degree and 12+ years of related experience in building and delivering complex mission critical applications and projects.
• Hands-on coding experience in Java, J2EE, Spring, Spring Boot, Microservices and Angular/React
• Experience with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
• Experience building scalable, highly available, performant API services
• Experienced with Continuous Integration, Delivery and Deployment best practices
• Experience using Git and related tools like GitLab, GitHub, Bitbucket, etc.
• Experience with DevOps / infrastructure systems
• Solid experience with cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services
• Experience building robust, reusable, well tested, documented, distributable modules that provide key capabilities to an organization
• Experience and passion for championing and mentoring others in software development best practices appropriate for the domain
• Experience with SQL and non-SQL databases such as MySQL, MongoDB
• Expertise with both object-oriented and functional software design principles
• Experience working in a cross-functional Scrum team
• Expertise in delivering technical presentations
• Expertise in delivering system-level technical design and documentation
• Excellent understanding of design principles.
• Experience writing shell scripts
• Hands-on coding experience
• Good communicator and motivator who is always looking for improvement opportunities.
• Sense of humor.