WB Games Montréal, a division of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE), seeks a Lead Technical Artist to help with making all content-related technical decisions for our multiplatform game. This includes calls made on visual R&D, performance monitoring, material creation, standard setting, as well as process and pipeline issues.
The Technical Art Lead will manage a team of technical artists and act a liaison between Engineering and the content creators. This person will evaluate new technologies, supervise and monitor the development of pipelines and workflow and work with all disciplines to ensure that the Art team has the tools required to maintain optimum delivery of outstanding assets within technical limitations, solving technical problems when required.
• Define, prioritize, assign and regularly follow up on tasks and the advancement of your team's work with regards to deliverables.
• Work with Production on planning and scope to meet deadlines in a timely fashion.
• Lead the design of content workflows to empower artists to build high-quality graphics assets
• Help conceive, generate and improve pipeline and processes. Cross-Discipline.
• Set up processes and push for tools to evaluate and maintain game performance and Budgets.
• Maintain a balance between the creative vision of the projects and the technical budget restraints;
• Optimize content for memory and performance gains;
• Be the first line of defense on the content side when a technical problem arises and work with content creators and other team leads to ensure their work meets technical requirements.
• Work with your team on generating visual and technical targets. Work closely with Graphics and Engine Engineers to ensure that the technology is serving Art requirements.
• Empower your team members with clear expectations and hold them accountable for their key results;
• Provide your team members with ongoing and meaningful feedback on performance and development -- ensuring positive acknowledgement of all achievements, both big and small;
JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS:
Work Experience Requirements
• 5+ years of progressively complex game industry art experience in a technical position and must have shipped at least two AAA titles.
• Strong technical proficiency in understanding proprietary tools and technology.
• Proven leadership skills. Able to communicate effectively verbally and through documentation.
Education, Professional Training, Technical Training or Certification
• College Diploma or Bachelor Degree in graphic design 2D/3D and Computer Science related or in video game development or any other equivalent training.
• Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Must be familiar with one or more types of 3D software (Maya, 3DMax, Zbrush, Houdini, etc.).
• Strong understanding of game planning and development process
• Strong understanding of methods of optimizing game art assets for game engines
• Strong understanding of scripting for DCC, UE4 and Shader (CGFX, HLSL) or similar required.
• Experience with outsourced content and proven ability to work with outsourcing and external development teams.
• A Strong understanding of modern 3D engines and the technology behind them (PBR, BRDF..). Familiarity with UE4 is a plus.
• Up to date knowledge of current art techniques and work pipeline.
• Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
• Strong Troubleshooting skills.
• Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the leadership team.
• Passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
Management has the right to add or change duties and job requirements at any time.