Senior Environment Artist
San Francisco, CA US
Position at ILMxLAB
From a galaxy far, far away to other globally-beloved universes, ILMxLAB’s body of work spans multiple award-winning experiences in virtual reality, mixed reality, and more. The team is looking for candidates who are interested in creating the next generation of storytelling for the premium immersive entertainment space powered by real-time graphics.
This fusion of high end graphics and immersive storytelling means creating unparalleled real-time worlds that exponentially raise the bar for consumer experiences. We continue to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We are looking for talented and driven technologists, artists, and designers to join our collaborative, creative, and highly technical work environment.
We're looking for a Real-Time Lighting Artist.
Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
• Work with Art Directors, Lighting Leads and Concept Artwork to design lighting setups for environments, characters and interactive game assets.
• Have a deep understanding of lightmap baking, dynamic lighting tools, image based specular lighting, indirect light probes, post-process volumes and real-time rendering
• Collaborate with environment, character and VFX artists in the lighting design to achieve the desired targets for aesthetics and performance through material shader and geometry work
• Collaborate with level designers to animate via level blueprint or sequencer dynamic lighting or transitions
• Actively participate in improving workflows, optimizations and best practices
• Identify, triage, and fix bugs as required working with engineering and relevant departments
• Take final project to a high degree of polish and optimization
Education / Experience
• 5+ years experience as a lighting TD/artist - in 3D game development or animation/vfx film studio
Required Skills / Competencies
• Strong aesthetic sense for lighting and color theory
• Strong technical understanding of current real time lighting tool sets including atmospheric effects, post processing, color grading and HDR IBL workflows
• Collaborative mindset and who can take direction and know what looks good and why
• Experience with Unreal/Unity or equivalent real time platform: dynamic and baked lighting workflows: physically-based rendering and basic level blueprint scripting
• Shaders: in-depth knowledge of real-time shader implementations, limitations of shaders in VR, strong understanding of PBR pipelines, and subsurface shaders
• Materials: experienced in the development, authoring & organization of efficient materials via the UE4 material editor
• Fluency in working in Windows, JIRA, Perforce or equivalent OS, workload and data management tools
• Excellent communication, organization and problem-solving skills and self-motivated
Preferred Skills / Competencies
• Strong traditional art, photography or film studies background
• Passion for playing and making games, experience or interest in VR and AR VFX production / pipeline experience
• Proficient with profiling tools in the examination & diagnosis of performance issues related to lighting
• Experience with one or more of the following: Maya, Unity, Substance Designer / Painter, Zbrush or Mudbox, Houdini, Mari, 3D StudioMax, Photoshop, Nuke
• Interest and capacity to work with proprietary toolsets
A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications