Combat Designer (Star Wars Team)
Respawn Entertainment is hiring! Learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We're looking for a highly skilled Combat Designer to join our Star Wars team. Our ideal candidate is well-versed in the areas of hero control/mechanics, enemy design, AI behaviors, combat/weapons, class design, skills/progression, story, and boss encounters. We're picturing someone with strong design sensibilities and a passion for combat systems, who will embrace our philosophy and share their hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
What you'll do....
• Collaborate with and take direction from the Lead Combat designer, Game Director and design leadership to take enemy designs and combat systems from concept to completion.
• Collaborate with art, code, audio, animation, visual effects to deliver enemies and combat systems that epitomize the creative vision of the game.
• Work within Unreal Engine 4 to implement character animations, script behavior trees, special effects, and system tuning.
• Research subject matter relating to the design objective in an effort to ensure the authenticity of the experience.
• Facilitate communication and coordination between relevant departments to ensure overall creative vision.
• Ability to self-critique and accept outside critique. The more feedback you receive, the more you can tailor your work towards what is best for the team.
• Incorporate coworkers' ideas into the process.
• Participate in the research and development of new tools and design systems.
• Contribute to establishing and enforcing consistent design practices, constraints, and metrics throughout projects.
Ideally, you will have....
• At least 3+ years' experience in the games industry working as a combat / systems designer, shipping at least one title.
• Experience designing and implementing heroes, enemies, bosses or combat systems using a visual scripting or text-based language.
• Experience with Unreal Engine 4 is a plus.
• Experience in rapid prototyping to test the feasibility of concepts.
• Expert game design sensibilities, including a superior grasp of timing and instincts of what feels right. Deep understanding of the game-play systems and mechanics, able to pro/con design decisions and the ramifications they will have on the overall experience.
• Strong attention to detail and able to systematically break down problems logically.
• Ability to pitch design concepts in a clear, detailed manner, through strong written and verbal communication.
• Excellent collaborative communications skills - especially interdepartmental.
• CS degree is a plus.
• A passion for melee combat games is a plus.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks.