Staff Engineer, Core Media
As the leader of the HBO Max Search engineering team, you will set the direction for the HBO Max search infrastructure and motivate your engineers to maintain a world-class Search experience. You will take an active role in developing the careers of everyone on your team. You will define metrics for success, and clear the way for your team to achieve and exceed them. You will foster and encourage diverse viewpoints, and will harmonize discordant views.
The Search team is responsible for the search platform used within the HBO Max experience. We drive a core content discovery experience that aims to quickly connect a customer to a specific video while helping them explore the catalog when they are not sure what they are looking for.
As the owner of a critical part of the discovery experience, you will be expected to use customer behavior to develop a deep understanding of your customers and apply that to each individual's search experience. You will use data to guide your investments and obsess over driving an increase in customer value as measured by viewer engagement. You will partner with research teams to iterate on machine learning approaches and with product management to innovate on how to expand the effectiveness of Search. You will grow your team's capabilities into a platform that can serve Warner Media's direct to consumer products beyond HBO Max.
• Lead and grow the team that scales the build system to support engineering organization growth.
• Coach the engineers on your team through technical challenges, and help them grow their career.
• Scale a build system with many different, unique device types – phones, tablets, game consoles, and smart TVs. Anywhere HBO Max runs, we get to play with.
• Set the bar for code and test quality. Your work serves as an example to others.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
• Experience managing a team of software engineers
• 3+ years working on Search-related technologies (Lucene, Elasticsearch, Solr, or an equivalent)
• Experience working directly with cross-functional stakeholders (engineers, leads, QA, designers and TPMs) to understand what they need, and how you can provide it
The Nice to Haves
• A passion for research and exploration across an ambiguous domain, prioritizing customer experience while encouraging innovation.
• 7+ years of experience in software development, with 3+ years managing engineers. Wisdom is learned through experience, and it helps to have learned some lessons along the way.
• Experience managing a team working with Search-related technologies (Lucene, Elasticsearch, Solr, or an equivalent)
• Experience with AWS or other cloud infrastructure providers. We maintain the infrastructure we operate.
• Understanding of the tradeoffs between PaaS and IaaS, and when to choose either. We use both.
• Deep understanding of common git branching strategies, and their tradeoffs. You have opinions about the Right Way to write code, but are willing to explore others.
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.