Sr. Devops Engineer
San Mateo, CA
Senior Reliability Engineer
Location: San Diego, CA or San Mateo, CA
Are you interested in operating a world-class, eCommerce and payments software platform at the core of the PlayStation Network? Our platform consists of 70+ services which enable millions of PlayStation customers to access, purchase and enjoy a wide range of digital entertainment content, seamlessly and across various devices every day.
As a member of the Commerce Reliability Engineering team here at SIE, you will carry the responsibility of keeping our commerce and payment platform here available, resilient and high-performing, while continually enabling our service teams to deliver new and exciting products and technical features. Our team strives to iteratively learn, improve and automate our processes every single day, which continually raises the bar for operational excellence within our organization. You will be encouraged to be a technical leader on our team, helping identify and proactivity drive improvements in both process and technology.
As a Senior SRE, your responsibilities include:
• Hands-on application management of over 70+ commerce and payment related services within an AWS cloud environment, ensuring availability, resiliency, scalability and high performance.
• Work side by side with our service development teams to develop, automate and ensure the production readiness of all new services and features introduced to our PlayStation commerce and payments platform.
• Utilize, integrate and automate the configuration and ongoing operations of AWS managed services within our platform
• Identify areas for operational process improvement and automation. Drive the hands-on development of scripts and tools to automate these processes within our environment.
• Increase observability on our platform by implementing robust monitoring and alerting patterns across our services. Develop rich, informative dashboards/reports on our services that provide valuable insight, and develop meaningful alerting patterns to drive down the MTTD (mean time to detect) and MTTR (mean time to resolve) on platform incidents.
• Collaborate and partner with other SRE teams that specialize in areas such as data services, data platform, and platform hosting to inspire changes and ensure optimal application performance and resiliency across all back-end services within PlayStation.
• Iteratively lead performance and capacity validation analysis for our commerce platform services. Utilize AWS patterns and technologies such as spot instances, dynamic auto-scaling, and EKS to efficiently make the most of our AWS spend.
• Review service flows and architecture to influence resiliency, availability and scalability for all services within our platform
• Provide rotational on-call support where you'll respond, detect, triage and resolve production incidents on the commerce and payments platform.
• Conduct, document and present root cause analysis documents to share incident insights and findings with our broader engineering organization.
• BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical subject area.
• 7+ years hands-on AWS experience – integrating, developing and managing applications
• 10+ years of relevant work experience in a high-volume and/or critical production, software environment
• 10+ years of hands-on software engineering or supporting/maintaining software systems experience (Java and/or c++ services)
• 5+ years of experience with building automation into daily operational processes through one or more programming languages (preferably Python or Go).
• Strong experience in configuring, tuning and automating operational responsibilities for AWS managed data services including RDS, DynamoDB and Elasticache
• Experience with monitoring and log management tools (ie: DataDog, CloudWatch, Splunk)
• Experience with container technologies and orchestration (ie: Docker, Kubernetes, EKS, Fargate)
• Hands-on experience in triaging and tuning Java cloud applications with integration into AWS managed services
• Solid understanding of AWS networking systems and protocols (ie: ALB, R53, API-Gateway, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, DNS)
• Experience with developing or supporting Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery/Deployment pipelines (CI/CD)
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.