Senior Software Engineer
Stockport, United Kingdom
Disney+ has, as of August 2020, 60 million active subscribers with aspirations for many more (we only launched in November 2019!). Ensuring all of our millions of users have the magical experience they come to expect from Disney, when watching their favourite shows is a challenge that we relish. This means scaling, and reliability is our primary focus in everything we build.
As a backend development team we are experienced advocates of functional programming so you can expect to join a team that are applying principles from FP, Reactive Programming and Distributed Computing to build these services, using Scala, Cats, http4s, FS2, Spark and Cats Effect as well a wide range of cloud native technologies including AWS (Kinesis, DynamoDB, Lambda), Docker and Serverless.
We have a mature DevOps culture in place where teams are responsible for the infrastructure and deployment of those applications, and we are actively expanding our SRE function so we advance our knowledge of concepts such as Observability, Reliability and Availability.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Growth Engineering organization, responsible for supporting new customer signup and retention flows, billing services and payment integrations as well as the offer and subscription management service teams.
Working within one of Disney's services engineering teams, supporting a variety of backend API services that directly support the Disney+ platform.
• Contribute and be part of an engaging, dynamic and inclusive engineering team, grounded in scrum and agile practices, CI/CD, great collaboration, functional programming and are motivated by a commitment to continuous learning and improvement.
• Collaborate in the design, build and evolution of the backend services that power the Disney+ platform
• Engineer technical software solutions primarily using Scala based microservices deployed within AWS infrastructure
• Support high traffic API services, globally distributed data and apply event driven architectures
• Influence and drive software engineering and architecture best practices and standards within the team and wider community
• Act as a mentor and an example to others in your team and across the organisation.
What we would like to see
• Some commercial Scala programming experience.
• An understanding of Functional concepts, preferably with Scala.
• Experience with Cloud Infrastructure, preferably with AWS.
• Demonstrable understanding of high-quality coding and testing practices.
• The ability to challenge technical and architectural decisions within the team
• Demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment in your work
• Think not just in terms of code, but architecture. You communicate your ideas effectively to others within your team
• Able to influence and drive software engineering best practices
• Broad and deep technical knowledge and hands-on expertise with many disparate technologies and programming languages.
• Data systems experience with relational or NoSQL DBs preferably at scale
• Experience with building highly available, mission critical and high traffic systems
• Event driven systems, data streaming and analytics and challenges of distributed and globally available systems engineering
• Experience in e-commerce domain, such as payments integration, subscription management or mobile device in-app-purchase systems.
• Ability to dive deep into any technical component as well as understand and drive the overall systems architecture
• Contributions to the technical community, either through blogs, internal workshops, meetups or conferences.
On offer is a competitive salary which is complemented by a Disney benefits and rewards package which includes LTI bonus (long-term-incentive), pension, holiday allowance, annual bonuses, Disney parks & resorts passes and discounts on Disney merchandise.
If you would like to see more of the work we're doing, follow us on Linkedin and Twitter, or follow our new Technology Blog ''Disney Streaming Services - The Art of Possible''.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site