Digital Content Producer
Sinclair Broadcast Group
Salt Lake City, UT
A part-time Digital Content Producer (DCP) writes, updates, and shares stories ranging from local news flips to breaking and nationally trending stories for ABC4.com with the goal of growing website pageviews and users.
Shift will be Friday-Sunday, up to 30 hours a week.
A DCP is a passionate writer and leader who takes initiative and thinks critically and independently. As the first person to get real-time news out to the DMA a DCP's deadline is always now.
This is a position evaluated by pageviews, time on page, pages per session, and bounce metrics. Candidate must prioritize growing ABC4.com's web/app traffic while balancing/maintaining journalistic integrity
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Be the first to report breaking news stories; monitor analytic tools, RSS feeds, social media, alerts, all regional media for interesting and/or trending stories
• Write daily ''flip'' stories (avg. 10 stories+/day) that are packaged in a way that grows pages per session and time on page while utilizing SEO best practices to grow website search traffic
• Constantly monitor competition to ensure no ''flip'' stories across the DMA are missed
• Post, package, and promote stories from third-party feed partners (Nexstar, AP, ABC, etc.)
• Proofread, package, and promote broadcast reporter stories
• Work with producers and news field crew on adding video to web stories (when applicable)
• Manage passive livestreams (when applicable)
• Push engaging and breaking stories on mobile app (when applicable)
• Generate meaningful audience engagement on social media without baiting (when applicable)
• Develop new digital content ideas for ABC4.com
• Proficiency in AP Style writing and SEO best practices
• Clever headline writer that gets readers to click
• Works with urgency, minimum 60 words-per-minute typing speed
• Ability to generate high engagement social media posts with link click-throughs
• Familiar with Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Social Flow, and WordPress
• Excels in fast-paced, sometimes high-pressure, work environment with accurate, visual, in-depth, digital coverage
• Comfortable with cold calling to develop stories
• Highly detail-oriented with excellent newsroom judgment
• Ability to multi-task; flexible with schedule in times of breaking news, severe weather, etc.
• High digital aptitude in respect to latest CMS and social media updates and trends
• Takes initiative to seek out and understand new digital news applications and resources
• Possesses journalistic integrity and understanding of viewer needs and expectations
• Can communicate, coordinate, and collaborate with other members of the newsroom
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Two years of experience in digital or print newsroom. Achieved a Bachelor's Degree in Communication, Marketing, Journalism. Equivalent experience may substitute.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: High stress, high energy environment.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site