WKRG.com has an opening for a Digital Content Manager (DCM). The DCM should be passionate about local news, innovative, reader-focused, and full of creativity and initiative. Working directly with the Digital Content Producers (DCP) to bring the day's content to life in a way that engages and captures the attention of our online audience.
The Digital Content Manager should be very well versed in website architecture, user experience design and development including data management, optimization scripting languages, and system administration.
The position must be able to create and implement a flow of creative solutions for daily operations, including training, tools, efficiencies and processes. In addition to site and product maintenance, the position is responsible for creating and executing product and project solutions to meet the strategic needs of the operation.
The DCM should be completely at ease with a digital lifestyle; should be comfortable learning, analyzing and recommending new software and service providers; have an advanced knowledge of CMS-based publishing platforms; optimizing and organizing digital content for a good user experience; and have experience working with different digital video formats.
• Attends local editorial meetings and serves as bridge between broadcast and digital in local newsroom
• Trains, coaches, and manages team of local digital journalists
• Depending on strengths and regional needs, will be assigned regional tasks across multiple websites.
• Excellent at writing buzz-worthy headlines that increase pageviews and package content that grows pageviews per visitor and time on site.
• Works with web producers to assure steady stream of interesting content is packaged in an interactive way and promoted in a way that generates reader interest.
• Evaluates website traffic trends to make decisions on both daily content and longer-term content development that will grow in-DMA traffic.
• Lead team members responsible for planning and implementing special coverage projects (severe weather, breaking news, and enterprise digital content databases.
• Monitors major news websites, local and state news websites, blogs and social media for breaking news and trending topics.
• Promotes news content on social media.
• 5 years of experience gathering or producing news and information with 3 years of experience working primarily on the web.
• Experience building online databases (investigative, elections, weather, etc.)
• Knowledge of SEO best practices and AP Style
• Flexibility to work across multiple websites while also balancing in-market needs
• Organized, technical problem solver and quick decision maker
• Enjoys working in teams and has excellent interpersonal skills
• Ease with/ability to learn new technology independently and quickly
• Ability to take direction and quickly implement new ideas
• Comfortable adapting to changes in evolving industry and thrives under pressure
• Self-motivated, competitive spirit and assertive personality with ability to balance multiple competing projects and priorities
• Schedule flexibility (nights, weekends)
• Strong understanding of Google Analytics; Chartbeat experience a plus
• Proficiency in MS Office a must; HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience a plus
• Bachelor's degree.
The Digital Content Manager will be involved in the editorial process in the local newsroom while also overseeing local digital staff and balancing regional duties. Regional duties will be assigned depending on candidate's strengths and the needs of the regional hub. Digital Content Manager will attend local and regional meetings as needed. DCM will be responsible for meeting local KPI goals and ensuring traffic is regularly growing. The Digital Content Manager needs to be familiar will all aspects of all positions on the digital team and be able to jump in as needed.
Measurements of success
• Meets KPIs
• Ensures local team meets daily deadlines
• Creates positive work environment for local digital employees
• Track record of training journalists who prove to be successful