For more than 60 years, ABC12 has been part of the Mid-Michigan community. Being called a leader in the industry is a responsibility and commitment we take seriously. Providing breaking news of the day and keeping our viewers informed before, during and after severe weather is our commitment day in and day out. Reaching beyond the traditional news of the day, ABC12 is humbled to be the media partner for several events throughout the year benefiting the community we call home. If you are looking for a place to grow your career, find an opportunity to make a change or challenge your skills, the award-winning team of ABC12 could be the perfect home for you too.
WJRT is looking for an investigative reporter who is always in the know, curious, tenacious, and knows how to cultivate stories. We are looking for someone who knows how to unearth new information on lead stories, how to move a story forward and can dig into records and data. The ideal candidate is an inquisitive and creative storyteller; someone who hits the ground running each day: a journalist who understands how to advocate for our viewers and a never-yielding passion for the truth.
This reporter will break news on a regular basis. Embracing and effectively using social media is essential to succeeding in this job. Solid news judgment and a strong sense of visual storytelling are essential skills.
The primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Build sources in community, as an eye and ear for compelling video & sound
• Grow the stations' social and digital footprint, especially within key demographics
• Passion for storytelling, combined with an unwavering commitment to journalistic ethics and standards
• Willingness to grow by taking direction and excel as a team member
• Communicate effectively and efficiently with anchors, field crews and technical staff
• Adapt to breaking news and developing stories
• Generate story ideas and collaborate with news staff on promotable story ideas
• Assist producers in formatting other newscasts
• Ability to edit video
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Ability to shoot and edit video with knowledge of electronic news gathering & non-linear editing
• Bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism or a similar degree
• Highly developed public speaking and interpersonal skills
• Essential 3 years professional experience
• Extensive experience in commercial TV news
• Professional, consistent on-air appearance
• Advanced ability in critical thinking
• Understands social media and the importance of engaging viewers
• Quick and effective decision-making skills
• Comfortable with live ad-libbing
• High level of communication skills both written and verbal along with excellent judgement.
• Experience in a newsroom, the ability to remain calm under pressure
• Must possess exceptional organizational and writing skills
• Knowledge of web-based publishing
• Mindful of deadlines
• Ability to lead and make split second decisions based upon knowledge of directives
• Must be self-motivated, ability to multi-task, and excel under intense deadlines pressure in a rapidly changing environment
• Experience with ENPS a plus
• Must know how to edit
• Excellent writing, spelling, grammar, and copy-editing skills
• Ability to multi-task and coordinate several crews and responsibilities simultaneously
• An ability to summarize information into easy-to-understand components
• Creative presentation style, and ability to showcase all resources and elements
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
• Must be available to work holidays, shifts that include nights, weekends and overnights, and flexible with schedule to be available during breaking news
• Must be willing to reside in the DMA
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people, go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, click on ''apply now''
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d2n2om-3-238-95-208-42 in your application.