Meteorologist - WIS
WIS-TV has been the #1 ranked television station in the capitol city of Columbia, South Carolina for 69 years. WIS broadcasts to 41 of the state's 46 counties, making it truly ''South Carolina's TV Station''. WIS ranks as the #2 ranked NBC in the country (out of 253 affiliates). Among its many former notable on-air staff is NBC Today Show co-host Craig Melvin. Melvin, a Columbia native, got his start as a reporter and anchor for WIS. WIS is an award-winning news operation with over 60 Emmy nominations in the last 5 years. WIS is also the proud recipient of the prestigious Edward R. Murrow Award for Journalism Excellence and has been awarded ''South Carolina Broadcasters Association Station of the Year'' a record 16 times. Our station's rich history of community service supports a diverse Midlands of South Carolina population and has dedicated our support of the state's many veterans (South Carolina is home to the most retired military veterans in the nation) in our ''Year of the Veteran'' initiative which honors and supports veterans many needs. Columbia is also home to Fort Jackson, the US Army's largest army installation for Basic Combat Training in the nation, and employers Blue Cross Blue Shield and Palmetto Health systems.
WIS provides over 55 hours of live news per week for the viewers of South Carolina and is proud to have two broadcast icons in Judi Gatson and Rick Henry as reigning TV Anchor and TV Sportscaster of the Year. In 2019, WIS commissioned Columbia's CW on 10.2, which now provides a full schedule of programming and WIS newscasts, including a nightly 10pm newscast. The historic and iconic WIS building is located two blocks from the South Carolina Statehouse and just across the street from the sprawling University of South Carolina. Outdoor enthusiast relish the areas many golf courses that South Carolina has to offer along with boating and fishing on the large 50,000 acre Lake Murray recreational area in Lexington County. Lake Murray is the largest recreational reservoir in the world.
WIS, the dominant, legacy NBC affiliate in Columbia, SC, is searching for a Meteorologist to help execute our aggressive First Alert Weather brand and join our talented team of meteorologists. The ideal candidate for this position possesses superior forecasting and storytelling skills. We are looking for a Meteorologist adept in all aspects of meteorology, including forecasting, graphics preparation, digital presentation, social media, and live reporting in the field. Our Meteorologists must have a passion for the profession and lead the charge in not only our daily coverage, but when we are threatened by severe storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding, hail, damaging winds, and occasionally ice and snow.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Forecast weather conditions and produce/anchor weather reports on all platforms in a clear, engaging, and impactful manner
- Take ownership and execute our First Alert Weather brand
- Be fluent in latest weather technology
- Respond urgently to breaking and severe weather events on all platforms
- Write and update detailed daily web stories
- Take part in promotional activities and public appearances
- Ensure all weather content leads the market and meets WIS standards for integrity and production value
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree in Meteorology or a related/equivalent field
- Minimum 2-3 years experience in weather anchoring preferred
- Superior communication skills and the ability to ad-lib
- Proven track record of forecasting severe storms and hurricanes
- Ability and willingness to work flexible schedule
- AMS Seal of Approval preferred
- Valid driver's license and good driving record
Qualified, interested applicants may go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter and references
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7b7x6-3-238-72-122-42 in your application.