WCJB TV20 ABC Affiliate - #1 rated legacy broadcast TV station located in beautiful North Central Florida (the Gainesville market) has a proud heritage and an energetic newsroom. WCJB TV20 is the market leader, with viewers relying on us for news, weather, and sports coverage from Your Local Station. Along with the market's strongest news ratings, and ever-expanding digital platforms, we deliver results for our advertisers. Gainesville is a sports town, and we cover our local high school sports teams with the same fervor we bring to our constant coverage of Florida Gator sports.
Although best known as the home of the University of Florida, Gainesville is also a medical hub with nationally recognized institutions including UF Health/Shands Hospital and North Florida Regional Medical Center. Corporations specializing in medical innovations such as Priora Robotics and Exactech have also made Gainesville their home. And with a large college student population, multiple tech businesses have sprung up, leading to the development of the Innovation Hub and the Cade Center.
The Reporter/MMJ will research, write, videotape, and edit general assignment stories for broadcast and the web.
Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
- Suggests viable story ideas daily at meetings
- Receives assignment or evaluates news leads/news tips to develop story ideas
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards
- Shoots video and still photos for web, if required, to illustrate stories
- Edits videos for all multimedia platforms
- Gives live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit
- Assist news producer in preparing newscast as needed
- Demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws
- Additional duties as required by management
- BA degree in broadcasting or equivalent work experience
- Computer literacy required, including, ideally ENPS news system
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment
- Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment
- Ability to meet various deadlines
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills
- Proficient at posting content to station website, Facebook, and Twitter
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
- Valid Florida Driver's license and acceptable driving record required. No phone calls. EOE
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5k6j1-3-236-170-171-42 in your application.